Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain - First Double Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
keelanfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default First All Grain - First Double Batch

Last night was a big step in the adventure that is homebrewing for Myers Brothers Brewing. Over the past couple months, my brother and I have been building equipment and gettting things set up and organized at his apartment for all grain brewing. In addition, we have upped the size of things and have the ability to do larger batches.

So, last night we did a double batch of Haus Pale Ale that we picked up from Brewmaster's Warehouse (can't say enough about the good experience with them). I was worried that the 10 gallon cooler wouldn't be big enough to mash it, but it worked fine. In actuallity, the more limiting factor was the 15 gallon kettle. That thing was full to within about 1 inch of the top at the start of the boil. It was cold last night, about 27 degrees (I know, doesn't seem cold to most of you, but for Atlanta, it's cold), so it took a while to get it all to a nice boil. Had a little boil over before hot break, but everything turned out fine.

The two kits together is supposed to make 11 gallons of beer, but we ended up with 11.5 to 12 gallons. The estimated O.G. is 1.051, but we missed it slightly due to ending up with too much wort. We hit 1.048, so we didn't miss by much.

I don't know if I'm doing the math correctly, first time trying to calculate efficiency, but here's what I came up with.

16 lbs 2-row pale x 38 pts/lb/gal / 11.5 gal = 52.87
4 lbs Vienna Malt x 35 pts/lb/gal / 11.5 gal = 12.17
1 lbs Crystal 10L x 35 pts/lb/gal / 11.5 gal = 3.04

For a possible O.G. of 1.068 (assuming 100% efficiency)

Actual O.G. was 1.048

So to get batch efficiency: 48/68 = 70.6%

I hope my math is correct, but if it is, I'm pretty stoked about hitting 70% on our first attempt at all grain. I even forgot to add the 5.2 buffer to the mash, so I think I will do even better next time.

***Photos Coming Soon***

Last edited by keelanfish; 02-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

math checks out

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

***Update***

My brother just called. He said the smaller of the two glass carboys we pitched in last night had exploded. Luckily we had it immersed in a water bath, it didn't make a mess, but apparently one whole side is missing. He's taking photos and I'll post later. 5 gallons lost, I feel like crying.

This might make me a believer in the Betterbottle...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
PuckX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn, sorry to hear about the carboy exploding. Nothing worse than wasting good beer.

Quick question though, why didnt you just continue to boil until you were at 11Gallons? I know I wasn't the one standing out in 27 degree weather so easy for me to say.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if they'd already done their other hop additions, it would have screwed up the IBU/hop aroma ratio. Last time I brewed Ed's haus ale a crackhead neighbor started eyeballing my equipment - getting him to go away distracted me right at the end of the boil. ended up with more bitterness and very little hop aroma/flavor. no biggie though, was still tasty

Bummer on the exploding carboy. what happened? clogged airlock/dropped/old stress fractures?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

We're still trying to get used to all the new equipment. That's the best reason I can give for why we ended up with too much at the end. We'll nail it better next time.

I'm not sure what happened with the carboy. I assume the airlock clogged. I left a lot of headroom and figured with it being a relatively low gravity beer and dry yeast, it wouldn't be a problem. Luckily it was the smaller of the two carboys, so we still have 7 out of the 11 gallons left. My brother installed a blow off tube on the other one today.

From what he described (I haven't seen it), the airlock was still attached to the top. Literally one entire side of the carboy cracked off. It must have been a defect or crack in the glass that couldn't handle any pressure or temperature changes. I figure if the airlock clogged, it would relase through the top before shattering the glass.

I'm thinking about better bottles, but wonder with doing larger batches if I shouldn't try to convert a keg to a fermenter. Anyone got any thoughts on using a keg to ferment 10 to 12 gallon batches?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Here are some photos of the brew day.

Ingredients from Brewmasters Warehouse

The very full mashtun

Start of boil (very full 15 gallon pot)

Cooling (smells awesome!)

Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Transferring to Carboys

After Pitching Yeast & Aeration (good head already!)

Tragedy - Smaller Carboy Explodes around 18 hours after pitching

5 gallons of beer now sitting in water bath

Last edited by keelanfish; 02-09-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Better bottles FTW.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2753 Times on 2704 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Congratulations on the the first AG and especially on the use of the Tote! That could have been HORRIBLE!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply