Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All-Grain is Finished. Need some questions answered

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
LaneStreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All-Grain is Finished. Need some questions answered

Hi, first of all All-Grain rocks!

Today was a blast. Although I had several problems.

First of all my IC chiller sprang a leak and shot tap water into the beer. So I took it out fixed it and boiled again for 5 minutes. Is this OK?

Then when I finished chilling and transferring I realized that I boiled down from 7 gallons to 3 gallons!! Is that really possible in 90 minutes.

Anyway I added 2 gallons of bottled water to the finished product and my OG was 1.044. So that was really close to the projection.

Was adding bottled water OK??

Thanks for the help!

Lane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would have been better to add pre-boiled and chilled water but yes, adding top up water to the planned batch size is ok.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with albannach on this one. However losing 4 gallons of water in 90 minutes is pretty amazing. Ive never been to Texas but is it really that dry there. Here in SC I lose about a gallon every 60 minutes but it's outrageously humid. How big is your boiling kettle and what kind of propane burner? Ive heard ideas on this forum and elsewhere that humidity and climate arnt the only reasons for a fast evaporation rate. People in my brew group here in sc swear that the size of the kettle has a large effect on it. Hope this helps

Cheers

Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is your pot really wide? I have a wide 15 gallon pot and get a loss of 1.5 gallons per hour. So for a 5.5 gallon batch my pre boil volume is 7 gallons.

Keep track of your numbers so you can adjust for next time. If you know your pre boil volume and your final volume, you can up it on your next batch to compensate for boil off. Also, a sight tube really helps. One of the best gadgets i've bought for my brewery. Got mine from Bobby_M on the board. Other vendors sell them as well. That way you know all through the boil what your volume is.

Maybe you had the burner cranked? I've toned my boil down to just a nice rolling boil, no need to exceed that.

Congrats on your first AG!

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Bottled water is just fine. I would just add tap water, if your tap water is good enough to drink of course.
What kind of burner did you use to have so much boil-off?
Anyways, congrats on your first AG!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Boiling again for 5 min. was fine to kill anything. I also live here in TX and have an extremely high boiloff rate. It's common for me to get just over 20% boiloff rate. As previously mentioned, learn & adjust. You'll be fine with the top off water.

On a side note: My preference is to hit the gravity before the volume. Better to me to have 4 gallons of the right gravity than 5 gallons of slightly thinner beer. But as I stated...that is "my" preference.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
LaneStreet
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the replies. I just bought a Bayou Classic SP-10. Also, a pretty wide Aluminum 10 gal stock pot. I did have the burner cranked pretty high. This was my first use of the pot and burner so I probably had the burner to high. I didn't realize that I could boil off too mych with the burner too high, live and learn.

I feel better, now that the beer is in the temp controlled freezer and I have airlock activity.

This is my first AG beer and my first to ferment in the new freezer, so fingers crossed that it comes out OK.

Thanks, Lane

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
LaneStreet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
On a side note: My preference is to hit the gravity before the volume. Better to me to have 4 gallons of the right gravity than 5 gallons of slightly thinner beer. But as I stated...that is "my" preference.
I did actually check the gravity before adding the water and it was 1.064. The recipe was calling for 1.040. The beer is Biermunchers "Cream of three crops ale." So the OG was wayyyy off. After adding the water I was at 1.044. So I felt OK after adding the water.

Lane

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I doubt you could boil down from 7 gallons to 3 gallons in 90 minutes even in Texas.
I suspect you lost some volume to dead space, or trapped in equipment. If I boil 7g for 90 minutes, I get about 5g into the fermenter if I tip the kettle, or about 3.5g if I don't
(I have a spigot on the kettle, which leaves well over a gallon if I don't tip the kettle when draining.)

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
LaneStreet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I doubt you could boil down from 7 gallons to 3 gallons in 90 minutes even in Texas.
I suspect you lost some volume to dead space, or trapped in equipment. If I boil 7g for 90 minutes, I get about 5g into the fermenter if I tip the kettle, or about 3.5g if I don't
(I have a spigot on the kettle, which leaves well over a gallon if I don't tip the kettle when draining.)

-a.
I did leave a little behind in the boil kettle, although I don't think it was quite a gallon. Either way if it was a gallon then I still lost 3 gallons in 90 minutes!

Will this be corrected by turning down the gas to the burner?

Lane

Quick Reply