Originally Posted by prey
My first all grain batch today was pretty much a disaster. I mashed at 155 for an hour and then sparged. In total, I got about 7 gallons of wort. The problem is, the og reading was 1.035ish so I ended up having to add some dme in there to compensate.
My recipe was a simple hefeweizen I saw on one of the threads here, in total the grain bill was 10 lbs.
I hope this beer still tastes good
It is often hard to pull high efficiency out of recipes with a lot of wheat, especially on your first AG brew. Don't get discouraged -- you planned it right! Having some DME for a backup was an excellent plan, and I am sure you are still going to really enjoy that beer!
So that you can improve for your next batch, you should try to go through your process and determine why your efficiency was low. Common problems are related to not mixing your grain and water thoroughly, not stirring before you lauter, not having a decent crush on your grain to start with, etc.
For your next brew, you might also try a really straightforward recipe that does not have wheat or rye or oats. Just stick to a predominantly pale malt recipe, like a mild, a bitter, or a pale ale. Lots of people have tried EdWort's Haus Ale (in the recipe section) with good success. It is a simple and delicious recipe (I recently brewed it with all Amarillo hops and it is excellent!).
If you want some more feedback, just post your recipe and the details of your process. There are lots of people here that are able to help!
And congrats on the first AG brew!