Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain - Cream of 3 Crops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First All Grain - Cream of 3 Crops

I just completed my first all grain brew using Bier Munchers Cream Of 3 Crops as the recipe. I made a couple of changes to the hops, using Willamette for 60 minutes and Cascade for 30 minutes. I also used some Dortmund water salts mixed with distilled water as the water around here is pretty hard and I figured a softer water would compliment this beer better. I hit a pre-boil SG of 1.042 out of 1.045 for a low 70 percent efficiency and and all in all I think it went pretty well. Much more sediment/trub than I expected post boil, is this standard? I thought I'd try the Wyeast Kolsh strain for the yeast also. Also topped off the boil pot to make 5 gallons as I lost almost 3 gallons to evaporation. I would like some input from the more experienced brewers here:

1. The original recipe called for 1 oz of Crystal hops for 60 minutes, and I used about .5 oz of Cascade for 30 minutes, does hop seem like a reasonable replacement?
2. Do most of you typically top off your boil to get your target quantity of beer?
3. Is sediment to be expected, I have loads of it?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think you should have topped it off...and there is no way in hell you lost a full 3 ****in gallons to evaporation. U might have ruined the beer by topping it off...it is better to have a good 3 gallons than a terrible 5. Wait for other people to comment but i think its done for

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you would have measured the gravity and adjusted with water if the gravity was too high then that's OK. If the gravity was lower then by adding water you thinned it out even more which is a no-no. Do not worry though as this does not help the situation. On your next brew you will do much better as learning to brew beer is an ongoing process. Learn how to use your hydrometer and correct for temperature differential. This will help you make better beer.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 09-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All is not lost....how long did you boil?
I've lost 2 1/2 full gallons in a 90 minute boil! Guarantee it can happen.

What was the gravity going into the fermentor? I'm questioning your mash efficency! I'd like to see your brewhouse efficency. I'll bet it's higher than you think.

Post back in 20 days and tell us what you think of your beer! I'll bet it's pretty good....and will get better after that.

Don't give up....even if it does suck....which it won't....I'm just say'en.....

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The recipe called for a 90 minute boil, and unfortunately I did lose all that wort to evaporation. I was brewing in my garage and the temperature was 95° or so and I think that coupled with putting 7 gallons in a 7.5 gallon pot lead to the high evaporation rate. I'm sure I lost some as the boil splashed wort out of the kettle, but it couldn't have been more than a couple of pints or so. Out of the MLT the gravity reading was indeed 1.042 (unless my hydrometer is calibrated incorrectly), and I cooled the sample down to 60° in my freezer before taking the reading. Post boil and after topping off (I actually topped off the kettle with 15 minutes to go in the boil to make sure the water addition would be sterile) the reading was 1.040 at 60°, so I think I'm gonna be OK.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I lose about a gallon every half hour with my keggle setup, so for a 90 minute boil aiming for 5.5 gallons, I will start out with 8.5 gallons pre boil volume.

[B]The End of the Line Brewing
Primary: Saison
Secondary: Nada
On tap: Farm Pond IPA, Airstream Ale, Barn Door Dubbel, Saison, Oktoberfest ale
Bottled: Blackberry mead, RIS

Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
BigKahuna

Recipes 

OK. We either need to have some class on how to read and use a Hydrometer, or you need to dump a pint of wort on the floor so you can better judge that. If you started with 1.042 and 7 gallons, you boil down to 5 gallons...your gravity should be signifigantly higher...like in the 1.050 range? Dont' have beersmith here at work...but MORE not less.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
OK. We either need to have some class on how to read and use a Hydrometer, or you need to dump a pint of wort on the floor so you can better judge that. If you started with 1.042 and 7 gallons, you boil down to 5 gallons...your gravity should be signifigantly higher...like in the 1.050 range? Dont' have beersmith here at work...but MORE not less.
I boiled down to 4 gallons and topped off with a gallon to make 5 gallons. Wouldn't the extra water dilute the original solution?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Sugar is not lost to evaporation so whatever your gravity points where originally will remain. At that point the SG and dilution (volume) simply vary in an inversely proportional relationship.

Now that you know your boiloff rate, you can sparge enough on the next batch so the boildown reaches your desired 5 gallons. This will actually increase your efficiency because instead of adding 1 gallon of 1.000 water, you'd be introducing 1 gallon of wort at about 1.015.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
At that point the SG and dilution (volume) simply vary in an inversely proportional relationship.
WARNING!

Brew Nerd Content!

Quick Reply