Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain complete

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
mbeattie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First all grain complete

I did my first all grain today. I ended up doing an oatmeal stout. Did a batch sparge in my 5 gallon igloo max cold mash tun. Got about 68% efficiency... not that bad for my first attempt I guess. Now I am just waiting for it to start fermenting. Cant wait to taste it.

I also used whole leaf hops for the first time (Figured all grain called for whole leaf hops...) was a bad idea. There were hops everywhere. I need to get a strainer if I intend to do that again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

68% seems pretty good for a first go at it. Congrats on your first AG batch!

It's funny you founf whole hops so messy. I find pellets horribly messy myself. They clog my outflow and inevitably get into the fermenter. I guess I have a kettle suited to whole hops

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
BrauLieber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeattie
I did my first all grain today. I ended up doing an oatmeal stout. Did a batch sparge in my 5 gallon igloo max cold mash tun. Got about 68% efficiency... not that bad for my first attempt I guess. Now I am just waiting for it to start fermenting. Cant wait to taste it.

I also used whole leaf hops for the first time (Figured all grain called for whole leaf hops...) was a bad idea. There were hops everywhere. I need to get a strainer if I intend to do that again.
Try using the bags available in HBS stores for containing your hops. I've used them for some time with great results. Makes kind of a hops "tea bag." Cleanup is a snap.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrauLieber
Try using the bags available in HBS stores for containing your hops. I've used them for some time with great results. Makes kind of a hops "tea bag." Cleanup is a snap.
One reason to stay away from hop bags is because you don't get as much hop integration as you do when letting the hops "roll" in the boil.

I'd venture to guess you lose as much as 25% by boiling in hop bags.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply