Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All grain coming up, advice welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #21
ahoym8e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Man this is fantastic advice.

Had I not started this thread I would have put the grain in the tun first, not had enough sparge water, fouled up the strike temp and worked with not hot enough sparge water.

I read a number of books/websites about AG, and they never revealed any of these practical tips, just te science and what is chemically going on with the starches and sugars and enzymes etc...

Thanks!!!

Saturday AM is the day. the HBS told me to shoot for 1.052 OG. let's see if I can come close to that.

TimK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #22
nitro4040
Recipes 

I'd throw in more hops, but that's just me.

Why not just Batch Sparge.

put that grain in a bucket with a false bottom, pour your 155 degree water in, stir, let it sit for an hour, drain, pour some back, with some more 155 water, drain, you done.

gonna need a few more gallons of water than yo uwant for beer.

and don't worry about OG.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #23
ahoym8e
Recipes 

tomorrow mornings the day! first AG!!!

Well, a phil's sparging rotating wand thinamajib came with my tun, so I supose I ought to use it.

am a little nervous on how it is going to turn out.

the last few beers I've fermented have had a real high FG. hopefully this one'll get nice and low.

and nitro, I may dry hop an ounce of real aromatic hops if the flavor calls for it when I rack to secondary.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 AM   #24
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck. Oh I think we forgot the most important advice there is.... drink. Put enough in the fridge tonight!

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 07-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #25
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

well you got all kinds of great advice so the only two things i can add are

>don't get blitzed while doing your first ag - i noticed there were posts encouraging you to imbibe.
>don't get all paranoid and hung up on all these details. doing all grain is a fairly simple process. concentrate on and understand the basic process. there will be plenty of time to hone the details.

Quick Reply