The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain brew via biab. mash ph?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default First all grain brew via biab. mash ph?

after brewing 7-8 extract brews, i wanted to try something a little different, so i ordered up a few all grain kits from northern brewer, and am going to attempt my first biab session. i've been doing as much reading as i can on the subject and think i have all the hardware required, but i am a little worried about the water situation.

water seems to be a little more important when it comes to all grain, and i have never treated my water before. should i be concerned about my water, or just use what i have? i have used distilled/tap/and recently a local spring fed water supply. the ph on the spring fed is 8.3, with a total hardness of 220ppm (tested in the lab at work).

if there is anything else i should look out for before i jump into this, a heads up would be great. thanks for any input in advance, i realize there are a ton of topics on water, i am still trying to sort through them all and learn as much as i can.

edit: i have 3 northern brewer all grain kits on hand. the dead ringer ipa, caribou slobber, and cream ale. my brew kettle is a ten gallon mega pot style with a turkey fryer burner.

Last edited by Veedo; 12-03-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Hardness is far less a concern in brewing. Alkalinity is the primary concern. The pH of the water is a poor indicator of what the water's alkalinity is, so its pH is of little concern either.

Knowing the hardness of your water is helpful, but not the entire story. Hopefully you can obtain a more complete water profile analysis on your prospective brewing water. With that, you can better assess how the water will perform in your new endeavors in mashing. The Water Primer in the Brewing Science section of the forum is helpful. But to bring your water knowledge up, I suggest you download and read Bru'n Water.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply