Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all-grain brew question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
imrook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sugar will thin the beer out, which people tend to find particularly offensive in an IPA where a lot of malt and mouthfeel are expected behind the hops. I'd say either leave it or add DME if you can't handle a 5.6 ABV.

As for the efficiency numbers, something smells fishy. 2-row and crystal 40 are both 34 PPPG and you have 12 lbs of grain. That's 12 x 34 = 408 points total (100% efficiency) After your boil, you had 4 gallons of 1.066 wort. That's 66 * 4 = 264 points. 264 / 408 = .647 = 64.7% brewhouse efficiency. If you actually had 80.7% mash efficiency, then you must have left a ton of wort in the kettle. Otherwise some of the numbers are wrong.

Don't feel bad I had trouble getting good measurements when I started AG. Part of the problem was I was more concerned with getting good efficiency than getting good measurements If you're taking SG readings with a hydrometer, don't rely on temperature correction if you're more than 10 degrees warmer than the baseline. The error gets worse as the temperature difference increases, making your calculated numbers worthless. Also make sure your water measurements are correct. When I started, I was just guessing by eyeballing a 5 gallon bucket to 1/2, 3/5 or 4/5 full. When I started using a calibrated bucket, things started coming into focus. You're headed in the right direction and your beer will be delicious no doubt. Welcome to the world of all-grain brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
OK, I'm still not getting this. He doesn't mention his preboil gravity and says at 4 gallons it was 1.066 but after topping off with another gallon of water it was 1.052. If I put this 4 gallon OG and grain bill into Beersmith with an 80.7% efficiency it says the OG should be 1.088. Since he got 1.066 Beersmith indicates that's a 61% efficiency. I did an English Ale yesterday with an 8.87lb grain bill with 81% efficiency. I got 1.054 at 5 gallons. If he got 1.052 OG with 5 gallons, or 1.066 at 4 gallons, how is that an 80.7% efficiency with 12lbs of grain?
I was going by the screen cap where he has measured boil gravity as 1.070.

His OP said the target OG was 1.066 but ended up being 1.052.

Again, if the numbers in the screen cap are correct, then my calcs are fine and the problem is not stirring well after adding the top up water. This is a VERY common problem with seemingly low gravities. Nearly every thread this comes up. Cheers!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #13
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Geez, I scrolled up on my phone and it "liked" the last post. No offense meant, but I still can't see how his numbers equate to his quoted efficiency.

Rev.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Geez, I scrolled up on my phone and it "liked" the last post. No offense meant, but I still can't see how his numbers equate to his quoted efficiency.

Rev.
Yeah, either he got an inaccurate sg reading, or took the reading before adding water.

Even at 1.052 OG, It's not that bad... the recipe's range is 1.056-1.074

I wouldn't do anything... ferment that bitch.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #15
spittingglass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain

Yeah, either he got an inaccurate sg reading, or took the reading before adding water.

Even at 1.052 OG, It's not that bad... the recipe's range is 1.056-1.074

I wouldn't do anything... ferment that bitch.

That bitch be fermenting.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
I was going by the screen cap where he has measured boil gravity as 1.070.

His OP said the target OG was 1.066 but ended up being 1.052.
He didn't say his target was 1.066. This is what the OP said:
Quote:
As a result, my OG of 1.066 took a hit to an OG of ~1.052 after adding 1 gallon of top-up water to the fermenter.
I take that to mean that his SG was 1.052 AFTER adding 1 gallon of top-up water. Therefore, a volume of 5 gallons. Working backward from there:

(1.0)52 * 5 gallons = 260 points
260 points / 4 gallons = (1.0)65

So he would have had an SG of 1.065 (or 1.066 depending on measurement accuracy.) in the 4 gallons of post-boil wort. What we really need to know is what the actual post-boil SG was *before* the top-up water was added. It is possible that measurement wasn't taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
Again, if the numbers in the screen cap are correct, then my calcs are fine and the problem is not stirring well after adding the top up water. This is a VERY common problem with seemingly low gravities. Nearly every thread this comes up. Cheers!
I agree with what you're saying that poor mixing of the top-up water with the wort resulting in a lower than actual SG. I'm also saying that the numbers (either in the screen cap or posted in the OP) are *not* correct. There's no way you should be going from a 1.070 pre-boil SG to a 1.066 post-boil SG with a smaller volume. Part of the point of the boiling process is to concentrate the wort by removing water, but keeping the gravity points.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrook View Post
He didn't say his target was 1.066. This is what the OP said:

I take that to mean that his SG was 1.052 AFTER adding 1 gallon of top-up water. Therefore, a volume of 5 gallons. Working backward from there:

(1.0)52 * 5 gallons = 260 points
260 points / 4 gallons = (1.0)65

So he would have had an SG of 1.065 (or 1.066 depending on measurement accuracy.) in the 4 gallons of post-boil wort. What we really need to know is what the actual post-boil SG was *before* the top-up water was added. It is possible that measurement wasn't taken.

I agree with what you're saying that poor mixing of the top-up water with the wort resulting in a lower than actual SG. I'm also saying that the numbers (either in the screen cap or posted in the OP) are *not* correct. There's no way you should be going from a 1.070 pre-boil SG to a 1.066 post-boil SG with a smaller volume. Part of the point of the boiling process is to concentrate the wort by removing water, but keeping the gravity points.
Fair enough, I interpreted it as his target.

And exactly on the second part. If his pre-boil was 1.070 as in his screen cap, then it's a mixing problem. If the 1.066 was indeed for 4 gallons, then he got much lower efficiency and entered numbers into BeerSmith wrong.

And we can all agree to just leave it and have a little hoppier and not quite as strong alcohol beer. Should still be good.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Indeed. It's going to be a great beer regardless. RDWHAHB

Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
spittingglass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester

Fair enough, I interpreted it as his target.

And exactly on the second part. If his pre-boil was 1.070 as in his screen cap, then it's a mixing problem. If the 1.066 was indeed for 4 gallons, then he got much lower efficiency and entered numbers into BeerSmith wrong.

And we can all agree to just leave it and have a little hoppier and not quite as strong alcohol beer. Should still be good.
Yes, I'm just going to leave it alone and let it be the best beer it can be under the circumstances. Math is Hard IPA will be bottled unmolested.

Quick Reply