Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain brew day, gone wrong... And it was good!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
fatduck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All Grain brew day, gone wrong... And it was good!

Today I used my brand new BoilerMaker set up for the first time, also my first all grain brew. How exciting!

The mash went well, fly sparging seemed to work, my sparge arm didn't seem to want to spin, but I just kept flicking it, and that worked fine. But I ended up with almost 10 gallons of wort when I only wanted to collect 6 1/2, so what do I do? Add 3 pounds of extract and split the brew down the middle. I kind of panicked at the start, but then I had a homebrew, relaxed and realized that I should just break it off into two batches.

So, the recipe was for an Irish Red, I ended up with a few points shy of my target gravity with the extra dry extract. I split the batch and put 1086 Irish ale yeast in one, and S-04 for another, and I plan on dry hopping the English with 2oz of whole leaf East Kent Goldings

So the mash, and boil were a little stressful, but I ended up with nearly 9 gallons of beer where I plan on 5, so all in all, a good day.

And lots learned for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Wables
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't worry...you made beer

Glad your BoilerMaker worked well!

Wables

Beer-
On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Secondary:Honey Blonde
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde

Wine-
Primary-
Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply