Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first all grain brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
auto4life
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first all grain brew.

Id call my first all grain batch of beer a successful failure. Despite wrapping my 15 gallon sanke mash tun in blankets I had a heck of a time maintaining temperature and ended up recirculating my wort while heating the mash tun off and on for around 75 minutes. I also tried putting a mesh screen comparable to a false bottom on top of my grains to prevent channeling during my fly sparge. According to my calculations I only ended up with a 62% efficiency. And had an original gravity of 1.042 from a 11.5 pound grain bill.
I'm thinking I may convert a 10 gallon water cooler for now then begin buying parts for a rims system if I get decent with all grain. Thanks for the awesome resource HBT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Keep it simple for now..go with a 10g cooler and batch sparge. Work on your process then upgrade as you want later.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
auto4life
Recipes 

I agree. Ordered a false bottom for my 10 gallon cooler today

Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Way to go...good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
FoamyMustache
Recipes 

Finished up our first all grain brew 2 weekends ago. A little daunting but we did our research and went with a 10 gallon cooler for the mash tun with a 18" stainless hose as the screen and used a 5 gallon cooler as the HLT. We mashed at 154 and lost less than 1 degree over 60 minutes then fly sparged at 168. Calculated efficiency was 86% a lot higher than we expected, but exciting non the less. We also milled our own grains, which had to help a bit. The 2 converted coolers and all associated hardware was just over 100 bucks and well worth it.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
abarker8541
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fill your pipeline with all grain beer first, then start worrying about efficiency.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes.. Learning the process is much more enjoyable when u have some finished home brews to sip on

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use a converted keg with a false bottom and fly sparge, I get around 80% efficiency consistantly. I have never tried batch sparging so I can't comment on if that will help but I would look at your crush and make sure that is not your issue. I have my own mill and have always milled my own so i can control the crush and eliminate that as a factor.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
auto4life
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamguy77 View Post
I use a converted keg with a false bottom and fly sparge, I get around 80% efficiency consistantly. I have never tried batch sparging so I can't comment on if that will help but I would look at your crush and make sure that is not your issue. I have my own mill and have always milled my own so i can control the crush and eliminate that as a factor.
I think my biggest problem was temperature control. I lost way too much heat. I'll probably go back to my keggle once I figure out a temperature controller. But until then I'll simply with a cooler.
Thanks for the advice everyone

Quick Reply