Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain with a BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default First All Grain with a BIAB

Check my technique below:

I have:
8 gallon kettle
2 gallon kettle
1 gallon kettle

I am brewing this recipe:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1533613/s...es/sugar-snaps

With about 12 lbs of grain or less and 1 quart per lb I can do a thick mash in the bag with the 8 gallon kettle . My next thought is the best way to get good sparging. I was aiming at dunk sparging in the 2 gallon kettle then pour sparging that same bag of grains in a colander over the 8 gallon kettle making sure I hit my 6 gallon pre-boil volume. Do I check gravity by putting the hydrometer in that pre-boil volume? I'm not planning on doing an iodine test. I will be mashing at 153-155 and keeping it there via insulation and towels for about 90 minutes or 60, I'm not sure what time is right.

Thanks again!

Ps: I've pretty much re-reviewed all the partial mash and biab resources here and elsewhere by forum and vid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I brewed BIAB for awhile...I found on smaller beers (less then 1.050) I had no issues. With a fine crush on the grain 75-80% efficiency is possible. However, I never did a sparge with I did BIAB....I would take out my bag and basket and sit it over a bucket and allow it to drain for 20-30 minutes....usuaully collecting close to a half gallon of wort. Then I would toss it into the boil....

I had good results with BIAB except when I tried a bigger beer and like a 15lb grain bill...what a nightmare...

Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
djbradle
Recipes 

Maybe my dunk sparge vessel will need to be 4 gallons to hold the bag so I could pick this up with a 20% off coupon : http://www.harborfreight.com/stainle...set-94829.html

Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
djbradle
Recipes 

70-80% ? Thats awesome! Yea I would never try anything with more that 13 lbs of grain. All my favorites will need to be extract with specialty grains, too high a gravity for BIAB. I've always sparged my specialty grains with great results so the technique is very familiar to me. It's amazing how much more "tea" I extract that way actually.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Maybe my dunk sparge vessel will need to be 4 gallons to hold the bag so I could pick this up with a 20% off coupon : http://www.harborfreight.com/stainle...set-94829.html
I've dunk sparged in a fermenting bucket before. Just boiled up some water to 170° and poured it over my grain bag in the bucket. Then I put the lid on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Worked fine.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have a 9 gallon pot and have done 15.5 lbs for a 1.077 beer. Wasn't easy but I did do a mini sparge with about half the grains. My biggest problem is pulling the bag out.......gotta use a collander and remove a little at a time into another bag. Luckily, most of the beers I brew (IPA) are 13 or under and work out very well.
I have a Barley Crusher and set on factory default, it crushes awesome. I average about 80% efficiency with no sparging but I do let me grains drip for a long while as the boil gets going and that seems to work well.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
djbradle
Recipes 

So what are your thoughts on what the volume will be if I stick with 1.25 quarts per lb? Close to the top of the 8 gallon kettle?

13 lbs of grain x 1.25 quarts per lb will be 15 quarts so a 4 gallon strike water volume will cut it well. Surely that bag will swell to an enormous weight which I'm fully capable of lifting. I have no trouble carrying the 8 gallon pot with 6 plus gallons of wort up and down the stairs.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
djbradle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I've dunk sparged in a fermenting bucket before. Just boiled up some water to 170° and poured it over my grain bag in the bucket. Then I put the lid on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Worked fine.
Excellent idea!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

This link will tell you what you want to know:
http://www.buildabeer.org/beerquickcalc.php

At 1.25 Q/LB you can use the 8 gallon pot.

I wonder if your mashing will be less efficient at 1.0 Qt/LB compared to 1.25? Will it be harder to gelatinize the sugars? (I read that in a paper on HBT somewhere). Or maybe its a positive , as the enzymes are concentrated.

I do BIAB, but since my stove burners are weak, I use two 5 gallon pots.
I am soon going to brew a Bourbon Barrel Old Ale with a 16.5 lb grain bill.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
djbradle
Recipes 

This is my question as well in terms of efficiency with water volume to grain weight. With 1.25 quarts it will be thick and with just 1 quart the mash will be very thick but it's all in a bag and with two sparges I expect to pull almost all the sugars out as long as my volumes are correct. With 4 gallons of strike water and 2.5 gallons of sparge water for dunk and pour I expect to come up with very close to 6.5 gallons to start the boil. Some water will be kept by the spent grains but how much I don't know.

Quick Reply