First all-grain beat into submission!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
Well... a lot more work than I thought. I went for a boil-in-the-bag version of EdWort's Bee Cave Bavarian Hefeweisen

My first blown assumption: My fancy oven will not accept 153 as a bake temp setting. I had planned on parking the mash in there.

I had to use two boil pots, while the first was cooling in cold water, I got in a hurry :drunk: and slipped taking the boil bag off and WHOOPS dumped about 1.5G of 1.070 wort down the drain. FooK!

DUH #2: Thermometers are easily broken in the wort :( its food grade so I'm not spazzing too bad about it. I sloughed off the wort leaving behind the glass and black balls behind pouring into the fermenter.

Hydro of the cooled original wort was a 1.070! yikes! but only 3gals of it after my whoops.

I just happened to purchase wheat DME to make my starter with so I boiled up another gallon and used the rest of the pound bag and dumped that on top.
Final cooled hydro reading looked just short of 1.060 for 4 gals. so at least I'll have some beer when its ready, as long as my yeast goes to town.

The next one will be better - ha hah:ban:

ok so now we call it "BIABSPIAB" BREW IN A BAG SPARGE IN A BAG another acronim to add to the list
ok so i have been using a modified brew in bag. i brew 5 gallon batches. i came across a 6.5 gallon aluminium fryer pot and a 5 gallon gott coller (round) at sales for $5 each and got a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, the bag fits into the cooler and am able to pull it over the threads. preheat the the cooler and then add 3 gallons mash water to the grains in the bag in the cooler at about 162 stir and i get 150 mash temp droping 2 degrees in 90 minute mash. because the bag is streched over the coller threads the top holds the bag in place and am able to shake the cooler to stir the grains without removing the lid. while masing i heat my 3.5 gallons of sparge water to 180 degrees in the boil pot, when the mash is done i pull the bag and sit it in the a callander over the cooler and squeze the bag and then the bag goes into the sparge water in the pot for 15 minutes. 180 gets me 170 sparge temp. I have my stove down to where to know where to set the dial to maintain 170. after the 15 minute dip sparge i once again put the bag in a coolander over the pot. turn the heat up. squeeze the bag then remove to go in the garden. I add the mash from the cooler. usually do a 60 minute boil. i am usually several ponts over the origianl gravity called out in the recipee and have gotten final gravities 1.010 or lower for recipees that call for brewhouse efficiencies of 75 percent. this is working well for me and have done 7 to 12 pounds of grain, i think 12 would be about max for my 5 gallon cooler.

Latest posts

Back