New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain BAtch - Wary of boil volume

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3855 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Once you make a couple of batches, you'll get the hang of the software and predicting your volumes.

You could always try boiling 7 gallons of water first in your pot, to see what the boil off is in 90 minutes, as that seems to be one of the issues for most brewers with new pots. If you start with 6.25-6.5 gallons in the boil kettle, though, you may find that works best as you can always add more liquid later but it's a pain if you've got too much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Once you make a couple of batches, you'll get the hang of the software and predicting your volumes.

You could always try boiling 7 gallons of water first in your pot, to see what the boil off is in 90 minutes, as that seems to be one of the issues for most brewers with new pots. If you start with 6.25-6.5 gallons in the boil kettle, though, you may find that works best as you can always add more liquid later but it's a pain if you've got too much!
I thought of doing that as well.

Filling my pot up with water, measuring out my stick while doing so for the brew pot, then boiling it. Once I reach the boil, time it out at 30, 60, and 90 minutes.

Figure that should give me some idea going in, what I'm working with.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
The_Brewzer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, lots of good information here. Thanks for the responses! Looking forward to seeing what happens with this. It is more or less a "kitchen sink" beer to clear out some stock, so I thought I would play around with it and see what happens.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Thanks for the thread guys. I've moved to all grain brewing, and I've got a bunch of new equipment that I'm not really of. Not sure how much my new 13 gal kettle will boil off an hour, over my 7.5gallon, and not sure how much my MLT will retain through the mashing and lauter process.

Atleast I was on the right track, I figured I would get a CPVC stick, and mark it with gallons, and record all my volumes before, and after. Will do this for 2-3 recipes, and then be able to calculate it.

Downloaded the trial Beersmith software, it's pretty confusing just playing around with it, but I anticipate getting used to it, and getting it set up for my gear. Couldn't figure how to change all that, and I'm pretty damn computer literate!
Watch all the videos on how to use the software. This will give you a feel for how things work. It will take a while to get comfortable with it and also to dial in all the variables.

Once you get your equipment profile dialed in you should find the program to be invaluable. I have done a dozen brews on it and have gotten it dialed in pretty well. I am now getting very close to predictions. Even the ones that were off turned out very nice.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Watch all the videos on how to use the software. This will give you a feel for how things work. It will take a while to get comfortable with it and also to dial in all the variables.

Once you get your equipment profile dialed in you should find the program to be invaluable. I have done a dozen brews on it and have gotten it dialed in pretty well. I am now getting very close to predictions. Even the ones that were off turned out very nice.
Yeah, I looked at some of that today, and put a recipe in that I got from my homebrew store.. Some of the numbers aren't adding up, but I'm assuming thats just the "efficiency" that BS uses to calculate. Everything is pretty spot on, save for the fact they only line up when I put 80% efficiency in.

It'll still be beer in the end, so I'm gonna use it tomorrow and put all my physicals in and see what it all comes out to be with what I get. It seems easier once I played with it for an hour.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
vlucchetti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Be sure to get your equipment profile and mash profile set right, as that is where you will find potential issues.

Took me a bit of time to do, but finally got BS2 configured for MY system.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Agreed.

I guessed, and I guessed right based off reading and taking a stab at what I had in my kettle and mash tun. I hit all my numbers spot on, with Beersmith. I think I'll end up buying the software..

Using a recipe from a brew store, I input it and got a bit of conflicting numbers on OG and whatnot. As well as boil volumes. Using a CPVC stick I made to measure volume in my kettle with water earlier, I was able to figure loss at my boil over 30-60-90 minutes, and confirm the right amount in my primary. BS2 was closer than my recipe was, and everything was right.

It's a bit of a learning curve to understand that just getting away with 4 gallons in the boil for extract, boiling down one leaves 3, and topping up with 2 to make 5.. I had to collect close to 7.5 gallons of wort, not freak out that the OG was lower than I expected, and understanding that I was boiling for 90 minutes. Hit the gravity right, and ended up at 5.5 in the fermenter like I wanted in BS2.. Will have roughly 5 gallon in the keg when I'm done.

Quick Reply