Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain Batch - Success!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
roger617
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default First All Grain Batch - Success!

Hey Everyone,

I finally made the switch to go all grain - upgraded equipment with some Christmas money. Brewed my first batch today, an American Wheat, and I think I nailed it.

Per Beersmith, my estimated OG is 1.053, I measured 1.051. My first runnings measured 1.071 when hot, 1.081 at room temp. Efficiency came in at 75.1%.

Needless to say I'm pretty psyched for the switch to AG, can't wait to give this one a sample. I was not having great success with extract brewing, 3 batches and none of them were too good. All palatable and alcoholic (which makes for drinkable), but I keep finding myself drinking microbrews I've bought even with plenty of extract homebrews around.

Anyways just thought I'd share, I've been reading threads on here for quite some time, with little contributions to date as I'm just learning.

Cheers!
Roger

Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad to hear your first experience with AG was a good one. I too just recently made the move after having brewed Extract for 1.5 years. My efficiency was close to 65% on my first batch but it will still be a nice drinkable brown ale.

Brew on!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
MBTB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Extract brewing was O.K. but AG tastes better and has infinite possibilities.

Have fun!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
SlapYoMomaBrew
Recipes 

Congrads, Switching to AG is like a painter getting a hundred new paint colors to use. Between all the great recipes being shared and the ability to endlessly tweak them to your own preference there is nowhere to go but up. Also, no shame in still enjoying great microbrew rather then just your own. I always have at least 10 gal on draft of my own stuff and I will always go try new beers.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapYoMomaBrew View Post
Congrads, Switching to AG is like a painter getting a hundred new paint colors to use. Between all the great recipes being shared and the ability to endlessly tweak them to your own preference there is nowhere to go but up. Also, no shame in still enjoying great microbrew rather then just your own. I always have at least 10 gal on draft of my own stuff and I will always go try new beers.
Even if I ran my own brewery and had 5 of my own kegs on tap indefinitely, I would still buy other craft beer. There is no better way to know the market, the product and further the art of brewing then by trying anything and everything from the swill to the Pliny the Elders.

I am planning on brewing a killer IPA this weekend and I still bought Firestone Walker's Union Jack IPA... never had it before but wanted to try it, and dial in what I am looking for in my IPA. All I will say is that Union Jack easily rocketed into my top 10 West Coast IPA list. Solid body with some bite!

BREW ON!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

congrats on switch to AG!

I just kinda did it myself - started brewing 20 years ago, did 5-6 batches, 1 of them AG, then moved to smaller places and didn't have room for equipment. started back up last year, did 2 extracts, 1 AG, though those AGs were in a Zapap and were struggles. last month, Santa brought me what I needed to complete my brew rig and this weekend will be my first brew day with a complete setup

and the pipeline isn't quite complete, so I do a fair share of "research" in the single-bottle section at Total Wine. trying new styles and different breweries is all part of the obsession

a complete idiot once said, "it's all beer, it's all good"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
captainkirk83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Just switched myself. I can't believe that it took the same amount of time as my last extract with steeping grains and cost half as much.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
roger617
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
Even if I ran my own brewery and had 5 of my own kegs on tap indefinitely, I would still buy other craft beer. There is no better way to know the market, the product and further the art of brewing then by trying anything and everything from the swill to the Pliny the Elders.

I am planning on brewing a killer IPA this weekend and I still bought Firestone Walker's Union Jack IPA... never had it before but wanted to try it, and dial in what I am looking for in my IPA. All I will say is that Union Jack easily rocketed into my top 10 West Coast IPA list. Solid body with some bite!

BREW ON!
VTrookie - I agree! I look at micro brews as not only delicious in many cases, but as research or inspiration on what I want to attempt to make. Some of my best ideas are from taking what others have done and nit-picking it to my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
Just switched myself. I can't believe that it took the same amount of time as my last extract with steeping grains and cost half as much.
captainkirk83 - I definitely took me a lot more time on this batch than my previous extract batches. I think it was the learning curve with all new equipment. Getting the curve down I bet it'll still take a little longer for me, but most of that is being due to the SWMBO kicking me out of the kitchen to brew in the garage...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
captainkirk83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger617 View Post

VTrookie - I agree! I look at micro brews as not only delicious in many cases, but as research or inspiration on what I want to attempt to make. Some of my best ideas are from taking what others have done and nit-picking it to my taste.

captainkirk83 - I definitely took me a lot more time on this batch than my previous extract batches. I think it was the learning curve with all new equipment. Getting the curve down I bet it'll still take a little longer for me, but most of that is being due to the SWMBO kicking me out of the kitchen to brew in the garage...
In fairness and full disclosure used an easy ag recipe (centennial blonde) and did only a 2 gallon batch. Also I was so nervous about messing it up I went over the process in my head precisely 1372 times.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
In fairness and full disclosure used an easy ag recipe (centennial blonde) and did only a 2 gallon batch. Also I was so nervous about messing it up I went over the process in my head precisely 1372 times.
simple and small, you still made beer and that's what counts.

remember; you're doing what people just like you did 1000 years ago without the advantages you have of superior equipment, ingredients and technique. plus they didn't have access to a nearly unlimited pool of resources like HBT.

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Quick Reply