Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain batch - mash question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
steber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First all grain batch - mash question

Sunday will be my first AG batch.

Very excited to say the least. Been reading a lot of John Palmer to make sure I'm ready. Quick question on the mash/lauter.

I read that it should be a 2:1 water to grain ratio. My recipe calls for 11.52 pounds of grain which gives me 23 quarts of water. (5.75 gallons) So if reading right. This is my initial mash in soak, Once I recirculate/drain this to my brew pot I'm supposed to sparge with x.xx gallons of water.

In the book it says to use 3.5 gallons. Although his example uses 4 gallons of mash in water. for a total of 7.5 gallons.

I hear 7.5 is a pretty good total boil for a 1.5 gallon predicted boil off. So am I correct to think that I should only sparge with 1.75 gallons of water for a total of 7.5 gallons?

Please help as I want the best efficiency possible for my first AG batch. As always, thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Pilotcox
Recipes 

I use 1.5 qts water per pound of grain so that should give you 4.3 gallons to mash with and follow it up with 4.3 gallons for the sparge. This should give you right around 7 gallons of wort for a five gallon batch. You should get around 75 to 80% efficiency.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotcox
I use 1.5 qts water per pound of grain so that should give you 4.3 gallons to mash with and follow it up with 4.3 gallons for the sparge. This should give you right around 7 gallons of wort for a five gallon batch. You should get around 75 to 80% efficiency.
So I'm assuming this calculates a ~1.6 gallon loss to absorption in the grain bed?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber

So I'm assuming this calculates a ~1.6 gallon loss to absorption in the grain bed?
I figure about 0.5 quarts per pound of grain will be absorbed during the mash, so that sounds about right for your recipe.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I BIAB at home, but have been doing much research in anticipation of opening the brewery. Previously, I have been mashing thin at 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grist, but may be reducing that ration (at home, I BIAB- not so in the profession). 1.25 is a good one to start at, according to the pros when considering efficiency.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
brewmastercontrols
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Download some brewing software and let it do your calculations. In my opinion this is the only way you will ever get repeatable results without a bunch of hand calculations. Hand calculations get a bit fuzzy sometimes when under pressure brewing and enjoying a beer or two.

Although written for HERMS my web site covers the entire all grain brew day. You may enjoy taking a read of it mash in, to boil. It covers the area you are asking about.

How to Brew All Grain With HERMS, a How To Guide
Table of Contents:

:->

Quick Reply