Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain batch - disaster or so so?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
HootHootHoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry, did no mean to hijack the thread.

I've run into this often, and it's usually because my process is not refined enough yet: I have trouble hitting my temps, specifically mash out. I may just switch to batch sparging

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot
Sorry, did no mean to hijack the thread.

I've run into this often, and it's usually because my process is not refined enough yet: I have trouble hitting my temps, specifically mash out. I may just switch to batch sparging
During mash out you want the temperature of your water to be at least 168, if not more to be sure you rinse those sugars! If fly sparging it should take at least an hour and be sure you have enough water flowing so the grain bed is just covered in water and you are not getting channeling. And yes, when you hit 1.010 your done

Be sure your thermometer is accurate and calibrated as well

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm doing batch sparge.. Mashed at 155. Fell to 152, brought it back up to 153.. Sparge water came up 170, but ended up around 160 in the bed.. Think that might have caused some of my problem.

Cooler wouldn't hold heat, every time i tried to bring the temp up it just dropped back. Pre warmed the cooler and calculated the strike water based on grain temp. Held at 155 for 25 mins before it stated to drop.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
During mash out you want the temperature of your water to be at least 168, if not more to be sure you rinse those sugars! If fly sparging it should take at least an hour and be sure you have enough water flowing so the grain bed is just covered in water and you are not getting channeling. And yes, when you hit 1.010 your done

Be sure your thermometer is accurate and calibrated as well
Right, but if a hydrometer reading is done at 168 deg, and anything over 100 isn't accurate in a temperature correction equation, then how do you do your reading to get 1.010?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
I'm doing batch sparge.. Mashed at 155. Fell to 152, brought it back up to 153.. Sparge water came up 170, but ended up around 160 in the bed.. Think that might have caused some of my problem.

Cooler wouldn't hold heat, every time i tried to bring the temp up it just dropped back. Pre warmed the cooler and calculated the strike water based on grain temp. Held at 155 for 25 mins before it stated to drop.
You're not alone, I'm dealing with this same issue too. I don't know how to controll it except maybe some blankets around the cooler to hold the temps in.

I've had. Big problem getting my mash out temps with boiling water, one time adding all of my sparge water.

I haven't really seemed to fix this yet, unless maybe lowering how much I mash with (maybe 1 or 1.25qt per lb instead of 1.5)

Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot View Post
Yooper,

What about during a fly sparge? To measure when to stop when runnings hit 1.010. Should I have a small bucket of ice water to cool my wort in my sample?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootHootHoot View Post
Right, but if a hydrometer reading is done at 168 deg, and anything over 100 isn't accurate in a temperature correction equation, then how do you do your reading to get 1.010?
Normally, in a regular sized batch you'd have plenty of grain and wouldn't oversparge anyway. You'd just stop when you got to your boil volume, and the runnings wouldn't get as low as 1.010. But in cases where the grainbill is small, most AG brewers use a refractometer to check runnings.

Quick Reply