The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain batch - disaster or so so?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
steber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First all grain batch - disaster or so so?

Finished my first all grain batch a few minutes ago.. Problem is I ended up with slightly more wort than anticipated.. Probably somewhere closer to 5.75-6 gallons rather than 5 gallons. What can I expect from this batch? Am I to worry that I collected to much wort? No sight glass on the kettle yet, so was eye balling the 5 gallons till i was able to measure it in my carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What where your gravity readings? As long as your close to the expected gravity readings the only thing you have to worry about is the ibu's being slightly off and if you have enough bottles for the extra gallon.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
steber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl77 View Post
What where your gravity readings? As long as your close to the expected gravity readings the only thing you have to worry about is the ibu's being slightly off and if you have enough bottles for the extra gallon.
well post boil gravity readings came in around 1.043... Its a shelter pale ale clone. the anticipated OG is 1.058..

When I measured pre boil, after mash i came in around 1.024 @ 144 degrees.

Still new to all this so not sure where this leaves me..

Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Well it will still be beer just a little thinner and a little less abv then anticipated.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
well post boil gravity readings came in around 1.043... Its a shelter pale ale clone. the anticipated OG is 1.058..

When I measured pre boil, after mash i came in around 1.024 @ 144 degrees.

Still new to all this so not sure where this leaves me..
Next time, cool the preboil sample to under 90 degrees, and then take the reading and then do the temperature correction. A sample over 100 degrees is worthless, even with the temperature correction tables- they just aren't accurate over 90+ degrees.

Anyway, you'll have less ABV and a bit less hoppiness, and a bit thinner beer. But no worries- it'll still be good!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
steber
Recipes 

Good to know. I'm guessing there isn't much to do about the abv. Would tossing a few simcoe hops in the fermenter bring things around? Or best to leave it be??

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

If it were me and it has been, I leave it alone. Unless you are tying to enter this into a competition, leave it, drink it and move on

Toy4Rick

Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
steber
Recipes 

Is this more to blame do to the fact i collected to much wort or is something else in my process needing work?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber
Is this more to blame do to the fact i collected to much wort or is something else in my process needing work?
You collected too much wort and you may have not gotten a great crush so your efficiency is down and your gravity is off but it will still be beer just not quite the beer you might have expected.

AG brewing has a lot going on and a lot of factors go into it. As you brew you will learn more and refine the process and things get better, much better

Keep reading these forums and get some books, How to Brew and Brewing better Beer are two I recommend, packed full of everything you need to know about AG brewing!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Next time, cool the preboil sample to under 90 degrees, and then take the reading and then do the temperature correction. A sample over 100 degrees is worthless, even with the temperature correction tables- they just aren't accurate over 90+ degrees.

Anyway, you'll have less ABV and a bit less hoppiness, and a bit thinner beer. But no worries- it'll still be good!
Yooper,

What about during a fly sparge? To measure when to stop when runnings hit 1.010. Should I have a small bucket of ice water to cool my wort in my sample?

Quick Reply