Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
JeffNYC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed my first all grain this weekend, also a hefeweizen. I used a turkey fryer pot with propane tank ($80 at Amazon) and it was very, very fast. I started around 8:00 a.m. and finished around 2:00 p.m. (including clean up). I don't have a wort chiller yet, just filled the tub with cold water and some ice and it cooled down pretty quick, like a half hour. All in, I was pretty surprised at how it went (thought it would be a lot harder). I didn't quite boil down the wort to 5 gallons, so I did have overflow problem. Of course, time will tell how it comes out...

My next one will be a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. Anyone have any thoughts on my first higher gravity beer?

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Way to go. That's fantastic that you made the leap. Take notes, and eventually you will get it dialed in to around 5 hours once your efficency improves.

You are already on your way to making a first rate product!

Old 05-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYC

My next one will be a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. Anyone have any thoughts on my first higher gravity beer?
Jeff
Aerate the hell out of the wort prior to pitching, and make a BIG starter...like 3-4 qts...And of course pick a good yeast!

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let us know how the Belgian strong ale goes. I'm going to go a couple of pale ales then have a stab at a Belgian style stong ale like Duval or Leffe.

Also looking at cheap fridges on ebay so I can try an Oktoberfest or something... no doubt i'll wake up one morning realising I've won an auction and have to drive 300 miles to pick it up

Quick Reply