Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Schol-R-LEA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No, not yet. Just as with extract, it will usually take a 3-5 days at minimum to ferment out, and the only way to be certain is by testing the gravity with a hydrometer to see if it has stabilized. I would wait at least a week before testing it; you can taste the sample after you're done testing it, if you want (I usually do myself, though it won't tell you much at that stage).

Use a sanitized winethief or turkey baster to get the sample from the beer, and write down the reading. If you get the same reading three days later, it should be ready to bottle, or go into secondary if you want to give it time to clarify first.

As for the rice hulls, they aren't quite as critical with the BIAB method, as the filtering is mostly done by the bag, not the grain bed. A stuck mash is still a possibility, though, so rice hulls could have helped.

Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
drjjunior
Recipes 

So, today is 2 weeks after started fermenting. And swapped my beer to my secondary fermentor and added habeneros and mangos. They will be in there for one week, then I will bottle.

the color turned out great. Its a light colored beer I love it. Tastes a little hoppier than I wanted but still good.

hopefully, the habeneros won't be to over powering

Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
drjjunior
Recipes 

Default Too Spicy

My beer is too spicy! what can I do to mild it down...? ...other than letting it sit and age. I don't want to take the time to age, could I make salsa out of it? If so, does anyone have a good recipe?

I know that the post above doesn't really go with this thread subject. But Next time I brew this batch, i will be making quite a few changes to it

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
elkshadow
Lord Creator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 88

LOL

I make a really good Mexican shredded pork dish with beer in the crock pot. Put some onion garlic oregano cliantro and a bottle of your spicy beer over a small pork roast in the crock pot on low all day. When it's done, shred it and make tacos or burritos or whatever. I make tostadas with pico, sour cream, guac, queso fresco, cilantro and a couple dashes of chipotle hot sauce. Very tasty.

elkshadow reserves the right to refer to himself in the third person.

Quick Reply