The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
trekbiker1500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default First All grain

So, first all-grain batch finished. I think it went pretty well overall but...

1. I fell short of volume. I used about 11 gallons of water w/ a 13.5 lb grain bill. My guess is that I have more equipment loss than I allowed for. So I will bump up my allowance there for the next one.

2. I couldn't get below 77 deg w during chilling with my pump, counterflow chiller. I had to put the primary in the fridge to finish cooling. I used a water recirc pump w/ my old immersion chiller in an ice bath to keep the cooling water as cold as possible, but no joy.

I would love to have any insights into this all grain process that the more experienced folks might have.

thanks

J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I finished my first all brain today also. Oddly ihad the same issues. I hit my target OG but my volume was way off. I think I didn't have my system calibrated to my software. I think I missed my dead space exploration and boil off rates. Did you bit your target gravity?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
trekbiker1500
Recipes 

I actually ended up just a tad over expected gravity...hmmmm I suppose I could have topped up my fermenter. I am really most concerned about the chilling efficiency. I ran the system a long time and just couldn't get under 77. I am thinking a restricted orifice in the discharge from the cooling water return to ensure good heat transfer...

Also, just pitched the yeast and the yeast vile basically exploded when I opened it. That was interesting.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker1500 View Post

1. I fell short of volume. I used about 11 gallons of water w/ a 13.5 lb grain bill. My guess is that I have more equipment loss than I allowed for.

J
That's a lot of water! If you're brewing a 5 gallon batch and you started with that much water and fell short in the end then you are losing way to much to your equipment IMHO!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
trekbiker1500
Recipes 

I wouldn't doubt I need to tighten up the equipment loss. I started the boil with approx 7 gals (assuming that the sight glass was accurate).

was hoping for 5.5 in the fermenter and ended up with 4.5.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker1500 View Post
I wouldn't doubt I need to tighten up the equipment loss. I started the boil with approx 7 gals (assuming that the sight glass was accurate).

was hoping for 5.5 in the fermenter and ended up with 4.5.
That doesn't sound right. You might want to double check that sight glass.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
trekbiker1500
Recipes 

I think I will recal the SG tomorrow. All is well this evening. My raging bitch clone is tasty.

Quick Reply