First AG went awry in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
Did my first AG and everything went pretty well...temps, gravities, fermentation, etc...now after 2 1/2 weeks in the secondary, I noticed some mold looking white dots forming on the surface. I read in one of the troubleshooting guides that this may be yeast, however, I think it is mold. What happened?? Did I get some air in there somehow? The seal on the airlock appears to be tight, but ??? maybe sanitation ???
Anyway, I had some high hopes for this being my first and with everything going so good. I am guessing that this one is going down, and will be a reminder to SANITIZE.
Thanks for letting me rant

I am SO glad I posted my rant 'cause I would have just dumped it. If it does in fact taste/smell o.k., then I can go ahead and bottle it? Can I strain out the white dots with a sanitized strainer, or something?
Thanks you guys, I am not as bummed if the some hope involved.
:)

most likely thos "dots" are just bubbles.. Taste it, smell it and then you will know if you should bottle it or dump it.

But then again, there is the third option, bottle it and ship it to me. I'll then wait 3 weeks and then let you know it if was in deed bad or not. :D

Assuming its otherwise ready to bottle (ie it's at FG), if it doesn't taste or smell bad I wouldn't worry about the white dots. If you are concerned, you can siphon from the bottom of the secondary into your bottling bucket, and leave the top 1/2" - 1" of liquid (and the white dots) behind.

Don't worry about the dots. Probably yeast, may be bubbles. If its not furry looking, its probably not mold. Leastways, it should be fermented enough to prevent any gross infection from both bacteria and molds--> law of competitive inhibition-- there's already a ton of yeast cells still in suspension, which in itself will deter mold from setting in (not that its impossible, just unlikely).

Carry on as usual, IMO. Post a pic if you're still concerned.

Biermann said:
Don't worry about the dots. Probably yeast, may be bubbles. If its not furry looking, its probably not mold. Leastways, it should be fermented enough to prevent any gross infection from both bacteria and molds--> law of competitive inhibition-- there's already a ton of yeast cells still in suspension, which in itself will deter mold from setting in (not that its impossible, just unlikely).

Carry on as usual, IMO. Post a pic if you're still concerned.

ok you all need to stop telling him it's fine. I'm trying to get him to send it to me.. ;)

My Manny's clone had white chunks floating in the bottles after a week. I though the whole batch was ruined. After a couple weeks settled out, and the beer is fantastic!

Okay, so...somewhat related, but, you know what we should have around here? A subforum called "Did I Kill My Beer?"

Evan! said:
Okay, so...somewhat related, but, you know what we should have around here? A subforum called "Did I Kill My Beer?"
I like FSR402's idea better -- an HBT Beer Inspector, position to be rotated among (paying, of course) HBT members on a monthly basis. The standard response to any "did I kill my beer" questions will be "please ship the entire batch to this month's Beer Inspector for evalution".

:mug:

I am definitely not bummed anymore....now I'm excited to get home from work and give it a taste :mug:

P.S. Can you ship beer?? I mean other than the obvious of just packing it up really good and shipping it?

not really, but you CAN ship Yeast samples, Yeast Containment Vessels, Home Brewing Equipment, Liquid Competition Entries.....

surely you can ship beer. how the heck do people send their brews for judging in competitions?

as far as i know, it is illegal to ship alcohol without being a licensed brewery or distributor. You could possibly have a brewery ship it for you, but i believe it also has to be delivered to a licensed distributor, which not every LHBS or whatever falls under.

I don't know how they get around it, legally (or if they do), for competitions.

i should ask my friends at Oak Barrel. They accept alot of brew for competitions. I'll do that next time i need some supplies (or their awesome new 8.5% Imperial Pilsner...unbelievable brew!)

On another note, I stopped worrying about the appearance of my beer in the fermenters a LOOOOnnnnngggg time ago. .. but that's because I ferment in my nice SS conicals and can't see my beer! :D :rockin:

Sorry, had to rub it in.

Back