Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG this weekend!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #21
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Well, brew day is over and I'm satisfied with the results...given the number of unknowns I had to deal with:

1. new burner
2. new, larger stockpot
3. 1st all grain

Apparently I miscalculated how much I'd lose to evaporation during the boiling (maybe the burner was on too high?) so I came up about 2/3 of a gallon short of my target. Not too bad though since after topping it off I still managed to hit my target OG. Actually I overshot it by about .02....but it's a learning experience and I definitely have a few lessons learned to go over for next time.

Which is going to be in two weeks I'd say. I got that itch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #22
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

That happened to me my first few brews. Was hitting my target dead on after topping off, but was seeing much much higher evaporation than I wanted.

Just run off more wort into the kettle and you're golden. =) I tend to collect around 8G of wort for a 90 minute boil now.

-D

Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #23
D2T
Brew Monkey

Recipes 

Yeah, I'm also going to make a measuring "stick" so I can tell how much liquid I have in my brewpot as the boil progresses. I can always throw the lid on when I get close to my target. The stockpot is 63qt, so I have almost no chance of boilover with/without the lid.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2T
Yeah, I'm also going to make a measuring "stick" so I can tell how much liquid I have in my brewpot as the boil progresses. I can always throw the lid on when I get close to my target. The stockpot is 63qt, so I have almost no chance of boilover with/without the lid.
Just make sure you account for the space your chiller takes up when you put it in for the last 15 minutes. I did not think about that when I make my little etchings in the pot with my dremel.

Quick Reply