New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default First AG trouble

I brewed BeirMunchers "Cream of Three Crops" cream ale for my first all grain brew. I followed the recioe and started with a 7.5 gallon boil, boiled hard for 90 min, and instead of ending up with 5 gallons of 1.040 wort,I have a little less than 4 gallons of 1.076 wort.

Do I pitch and prey? Add water to bring it to 5 gallons? ad watter to get to the.040 mark? Go buy a 12 pack of Bud and sue them because there is less abv than stated on the bottle? Or drop back 115 yards and punt?

Any ideas?

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say to top up to 5 gallons and make a note on how much your boil off is.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

top up to 5 gallons and turn the burner down next time.

you'll nail down your boil-off

Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Ticebain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I say top up to 5 too. Who cares about your og being a little off. The extra gallon of water will drop it considerably but it might still be a little over target.

3.5 gals if boil off in 90 mins? That's pretty impressive, is your kettle about as big around as a truck tire and only 8 inches high? O I know, you are heating with nuclear fuel?

That's a TON of boil off. I might be lucky to get 2.5 gals in 90 mins

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

top off, but make sure u mix it well. Put it on ur knee and work it back and forth real good before u pitch. U wanna make sure the water u add to the wort mixes in and brings that gravity down uniformly or else u could end up with a weird mixture of fermented stuff alongside water.

Also what kinda yeast are u using? Dry? I'd rehydrate and pitch, if its a liquid, maybe consider throwing a starter on for 24 hours if possible and then pitch that. Just cuz ur looking at much higher OG even when u dilute it with the one gallon of water.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Also, i'd consider either a sight glass or a graduated wooden dowel so u can throw it in and see if ur good with a 60 minute boil or if u should go longer.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Top off for this batch, unless you prefer the heavier brew. Before the next batch fill your kettle with water and boil down to test your boil off amount so you can adjust your volumes accordingly. For me, to get 5.5 gallons I start with 8 gallons for a 90 minute boil. For a 60, I start with just over 7 1/2.

Keep in mind that boil off can change some with the seasons--not a lot.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I'd add water to get to the planned OG.

Here's why- the IBUs and hops are planned to balance out at a specific IBU/SG ratio. That fact that your SG is higher just means you got more out of the grain- it doesn't change the basic idea.

The first few AG batches may miss high or low, until you know your efficiency. For too high, adding water is the answer. For too low, adding some DME would fix that.

Recipes are all about balance, and having an underbittered 8.5% cream ale doesn't appeal to me! You only added enough hops for a 1.040 beer, so it'd be underbittered and underhopped- hence boozy and too sweet.

Adding 2.25 gallons of water to this now results in 6.25 gallons of a 1.049 beer, which is right in the ballpark. That's what I'd do!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Kirkwooder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Topped up to over 6 gallon mark, I hope its not too much for the carboy. Used a blow off and put the caboy in a tote just to be safe. The beer is now close to the 1.050 mark.

I read that Beirmuncher liked to boil this beer hard for 90 min.. I guess I could turn the heat down a bit on the next batch, I ran the burner wide open for the full 90, and it really rolled! I brewed out side and the wind was fairly steady, too.

I mixed very well, as I always airiate by swirling for a couple min. on my knee. I then pitched a rehydrated us-05. This will be the first time I've used this yeast, but everything I've heard about it has been good.

All in all it was a lot of work, but even more fun!!!! Even if this is totaly undrinkable I will do AG brewing from now on!

THANKS EVERYONE! I knew I could count on this crew!

Beer is good, no beer is very bad!

Fridge is full and I can't stack anymore cases in the closet. I need to drink more!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Not only will this not be undrinkable (a triple negative? What would my English teacher say!!!!!!), but it will instead be very very good and you'll wish you had made a larger batch!

I promise or my name isn't Yooper.

Quick Reply