The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG with terrible mash efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #21
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Well you CAN add the sugar before the boil. So its kinda tricky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #22
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Also, if I read correctly your measured your preboil at 140*F? You should cool it down, I haven't had those temperature calculators be very accurate at all, much less above 90*

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #23
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My OG ended up at about 1.082 so not too bad. I plan to get a refractometer to make it easier. Until then I'll cool it down more before taking the gravity readings.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflydude View Post
So I checked the pre-boil gravity against two different software programs and both came out the same at 1.077. Then I took off the 3 lbs of candi sugar and the pre-boil gravity dropped to 1.056. WTH, shouldn't the pre-boil gravity be measured without the candi sugar since that is added during the boil? Am I reading it wrong or are the programs incorrectly calculating the pre-boil gravity? Are the programs suggesting that the candi sugar should be dissolved before the boil? I don't even know if that would be possible.
Okay, in your first post you said you had a pre-boil gravity of 1.055 corrected.
Was the candied sugar already dissolved and mixed in with the wort?
If not, you can't expect a 1.080.

Typically sugar is added near the end of the boil which would only figure into the post boil gravity not the pre-boil gravity. (it's typically added at the end of the boil to avoid a seperate sterilization if added to the fermenter and to help mix it with the wort since the boil is causing lots of disturbance)

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking that my 1.055 estimation may be off since I took the 1.040 reading while the wort was quite hot at 140F. Should have cooled it down for a more accurate reading. Still, maybe I'm not off as much as I thought. I still left sugar that I could have gotten out of the grain if I had slowed things down. The programs I used were setup at 70% efficiency so those were the numbers I was shooting for. I'm going to brew this same batch again soon so I can compare the results with a better process and more accurate measurements. I will also need to adjust the efficiency calculation in the program once I get my numbers from the mash. I didn't realize the pre-boil gravity was taking the candi sugar into account. That throws off the pre-boil estimation so it is an error in the software in my opinion. Either that or I'm not using it correctly which is entirely possible too. I add the candi sugar during the boil so it has no place in the calculation for pre-boil gravity.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Can you post your recipe?

Ingrediants, how much and your process?

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One more thing,

When it's finished, if it's a good beer and you like it.......The numbers don't matter.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Belgian:
12.5 lbs Pilsen
1 lb caramunich
0.5 lbs biscuit
0.33 lbs aromatic
0.25 lbs special B
0.19 lbs chocolate
3 lbs candi sugar amber

Hops:
1 oz northern brewer 90 min
1 oz styrian golding 15 min
1 oz hallertauer 15 min

Yeast:
WLP530 two vials with starter

Mash 4.5 gallons 75 minutes at 155F (170F initial infusion temp, 80F grain temp). Stirred approximately every 15 minutes. Final temp at 75 minutes was approximately 152F. Sparged 4.5 gallons at 170F for maybe 20 minutes (I know it should have been longer like an hour). Final volume pre boil was 6.5 gallons. Boiled 90 minutes and final volume after boil was 5.5 gallons. 5 gallons into 6.5 gal glass carboy fermenter (I need a hop strainer!). OG 1.082 at 80F. Pitched yeast at 68F. I had active fermentation after only 5 hours and good Kraussen. Taking final readings and bottling tonight so I'll post the results.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #29
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottling done with final gravity at 1.014! ABV about 8.9%. Not too shabby. With a few tweaks on the next batch I should be able to hit close to the estimated efficiency numbers. Thanks to everyone for the great input.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #30
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Okay, Plugging your numbers into BeerSmith I get 1.066 pre-boil. Link to recipe I through together So you were pretty close but something was off and I agree you may need to change something like a longer sparge. But most importantly, a 90 min boil is going to require more wort than a 60 min boil. In this case BS suggests almost 8.5 gallons in your boil kettle. I typically boil off 1.5-2 gallons in a 60 min boil. You only boiled off 1 gallon in 90 min which should have been closer to 3 gallons. So, your boil could not have been very vigorous. Also, BS puts this at 1.099 into the fermenter. Which you were way off of. If you had 8.5 gallons pre-boil, at a gravity of 1.055 it would have helped you to get to the 1.099 having the extra 2 gallons to boil off. Even @1.055, you could have boiled down to 5 gallons and made it into the 1.090's.

Also, I think you have a few numbers wrong or your hydrometer is off but 6.5 gallons @ 1.055 equals 357.5 gravity units. If you boil off 1 gallon and divide that into the 5 gallons left it's only a gravity of 1.071 not 1.082 post boil as you have stated. so something is not right.

Does this make sense?

Quick Reply