Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG with terrible mash efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbrew View Post
very very true, just dont go too low on the temps or youll sacrifice some of the body and mouthfeel of the beer which wont be balanced with the increased alcohol. If you venture to lower temps for medium to heavy bodied beers then look into adding malto-dextrins, carapils, or other dextrinous/proteinous (if thats a word) adjuncts. Welcome to the cause and effect world of brewing where true logic doesnt count and messing with recipes is a fun but rocky road.
+1

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Guys, look at his information. I don't think he can get 1.080 from 14.75lbs of grain. I think everything is okay, I think he read something wrong.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
Guys, look at his information. I don't think he can get 1.080 from 14.75lbs of grain. I think everything is okay, I think he read something wrong.
I was going to point that out as well, however if he's going to fly sparge he should get the process down. A 20 min fly sparge is way too fast, it should be taking him at least an hour to gently rinse the sugars from the grain.

Or do what I do, be lazy and batch sparge, and counter the lower efficiency with an extra pound of base grain.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
If you want to increase eff try batch sparging..save some time also. Hell with sparging for 1 hour. Also next time your in lhbs see what mill is set at. You might want to double crush.

Don't worry about clear runnings that much. If you have finings and s good chill and time your beer well be clear as hell.

I don't even volourf , sp, any more. Just open her up. I am more intrested in having a quick hot beak and a quick cold break.
Wouldnt double crushing make too much of a fine powder leading to stuck sparges no matter whether you batch sparged or did a continuous sparge. Also, I would never slack on the mash or sparge let alone any step of the brewing process. It will disappoint you in the end and your laziness will show in the final product.

"Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew." -Charlie Papazian
"A friend with yeast is a friend indeed."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac
This. He first should get his numbers rigth. 1.080 pre boil its too much. Then we can discuss techniques.

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #16
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXbrew

Wouldnt double crushing make too much of a fine powder leading to stuck sparges no matter whether you batch sparged or did a continuous sparge. Also, I would never slack on the mash or sparge let alone any step of the brewing process. It will disappoint you in the end and your laziness will show in the final product.
Dont know. I have my system dialed in but allot of guys at lhbs double crush.
I set at .033 on dial. Have no clue what that means but it works and I know my system.

His numbers are off though. 1080 for what he has is off ...way off

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzesteak View Post
I set at .033 on dial. Have no clue what that means but it works and I know my system.
That is the width of the gap between your rollers in inches.

0.033"

1 inch would be 1.000" , 1/2" would be .500", quarter inch is 0.250", 1/8th inch is 0.125", 16th" is .062", 32nd" is 0.031.

So your gap is a little bigger than a 32nd of an inch

Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Funny how occasionally brewers ask for advice then never read the reply's. Or acknowledge that the advice was/wasn't helpful.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, I have gained a lot of useful information from this post and the replies. I haven't had a chance to brew another batch yet but I have a lot of great information to improve my process. I'll post again when I have done another batch. BTW, I got my pre-boil numbers from the brew pal app on my iPhone. If it is off I'll have to check the recipe against a different program. Think I'll give beer smith a try.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #20
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I checked the pre-boil gravity against two different software programs and both came out the same at 1.077. Then I took off the 3 lbs of candi sugar and the pre-boil gravity dropped to 1.056. WTH, shouldn't the pre-boil gravity be measured without the candi sugar since that is added during the boil? Am I reading it wrong or are the programs incorrectly calculating the pre-boil gravity? Are the programs suggesting that the candi sugar should be dissolved before the boil? I don't even know if that would be possible.

Quick Reply