New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG with terrible mash efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
freeflydude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First AG with terrible mash efficiency

I brewed a potentially big beer a couple days ago with estimated pre-boil gravity at about 1.080 from 14.77 lbs grain. After draining the pre-boil gravity was a dismal 1.040 at about 140 degrees. With temperature correction I think that gets me to about 1.055. I've read several posts since about efficiency and have a few ideas about what went wrong but would like any suggestions for improvement. My process and equipment:

MLT - 10 gal round cooler w/ FB
1. 170 strike water in MLT.
2. Added grains to water (I've seen posts that say add water to grain so would like comments on this on whether to add grain to water or water to grain, and why...)
3. Mash at 157-152 for 75 minutes stirring every 15 minutes (75 minute mash for Pilsen based malt)
4. Vorlauf and fly sparge with 170 degree water. Probably only took 15-20 minutes to drain which I now know was too fast.

From what I've seen posted here's where I think I messed up, I should have slowed down on the sparge and used water at a higher temp closer to 200. I also think my grain crush was not good which might have been the biggest contributor. The HBS did the crush and my initial runnings were really clear so seems to be a likely cause. Overall when I look back I think a better crush and slower sparge at 200 would have yielded much better results. Any suggestions for next batch would be greatly appreciated. I would like to improve my efficiency to be in the 75 range or better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
freeflydude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh yeah, strike 4.5 gal, sparge 4.5 gal, pre-boil volume 6.5 gal, post-boil 5.5 gal

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Sparge for at least an hour, get a better crush for your grain, add half of your mash water to the cooler then your grains and the remaining water, mash out at lower temps at the 148-150 range to get more fermentables and less dextrins, try a mash out before sparging, and buy a brewing software like beersmith to help with your calculations.

"Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew." -Charlie Papazian
"A friend with yeast is a friend indeed."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

ATXbrew just used an orbital strike on this post and wiped out the local populations. Sparge for an hour? In general I have always done it for about 20 minutes so maybe I'm missing something. I have also had some efficiency issues recently so I'll look into these tips.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylerChaBro View Post
ATXbrew just used an orbital strike on this post and wiped out the local populations. Sparge for an hour? In general I have always done it for about 20 minutes so maybe I'm missing something. I have also had some efficiency issues recently so I'll look into these tips.
For typical AG batches of 5 gallons it is necessary to have a sparge time of at least an hour no matter how much sparge water you are using. This time is essential for the sparge water to properly rinse the grains of all sugars. I use these methods and never hit any lower then 0.003 from the target OG. PM me if you want some more advice on your practices for getting better extractions.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

1.080 Pre-boil looks like a pretty high expectation. Are you sure that's not post boil?

I entered 14.75lbs of US 2 row into Beer Smith and it shows 1.054 est pre-boil. Which is right where you are.
21.75 lbs of US 2 row gets it to 1.080. It even takes 20 lbs of German Wheat to get to 1.080. For a 5 gallon batch @ 72% efficiency

Don't go higher temperature on sparge.

What grains did you use?

Add grains to water. This allows the water to heat the mash tun and stabilize temperature and you can control dough balls.

Buy Beer Smith 21 day free trial

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 482 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I only batch sparge but from what I have read it is necessary to drain the sparge very slowly when fly sparging. An hour is typically stated.

The crush of the grain is also very important.

I was a little low on my previous batch so on the last I tightened my Corona style mill just a tiny bit and hit my numbers right on with the last batch!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
Mash temp looks high. Remember M=More A=Alcohol L=Lower T= Temperature
Very very true, just dont go too low on the temps or youll sacrifice some of the body and mouthfeel of the beer which wont be balanced with the increased alcohol. If you venture to lower temps for medium to heavy bodied beers then look into adding malto-dextrins, carapils, or other dextrinous/proteinous (if thats a word) adjuncts. Welcome to the cause and effect world of brewing where true logic doesnt count and messing with recipes is a fun but rocky road.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
beeber
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get your crush right, if it's not. That is the most important factor here.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
chezzesteak
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you want to increase eff try batch sparging..save some time also. Hell with sparging for 1 hour. Also next time your in lhbs see what mill is set at. You might want to double crush.

Don't worry about clear runnings that much. If you have finings and s good chill and time your beer well be clear as hell.

I don't even volourf , sp, any more. Just open her up. I am more intrested in having a quick hot beak and a quick cold break.

Quick Reply