*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG - Stone Ruination IPA Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
A favorite of mine, but no body else likes it around here so I have to drink it all myself.
[SARCASM]Sounds like a tragedy.[/SARCASM]

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

1st gravity reading and after about 38 hours I'm already down from 1.050 to 1.010 ... Still has a little bit of sweet taste to it... but otherwise tastes like a great beer!

I really need to invest in a beer thief, I used the suck through the sanitized tubing and transfer to my test tube method and I'm always scared I'm going to introduce unwanted oxidation into the beer.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

Primary #2:

Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
MrHampy
Recipes 

Default Ruination Clone - How Long in the Bottle?

Hey there,

I've just started brewing again after a 12 year hiatus, and decided to aim high and try out a Ruination clone recipe.

Everything went pretty well, and now I'm wondering how long I should wait until trying one out. 3 weeks? 4? 6? 8?

How about right now?

Now?

Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

safale o5 is perfect for ipa's. slow down your sparge run-off rate and you will get amazing efficiency. that and a good crush is the key to good efficiency. don't worry about the IBU's. even if it is too bitter at first, it will mellow out after a few weeks.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
Flic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried a Ruination clone earlier in the year and out of my 13 AG brews to date, this was the first one to not really turn out well. I missed my OG and was 12 points low so it came out very bitter. Drinkable but not that great. Aroma and color were spot-on but when my wife tried it you would of thought she bit into a whole grapefruit with the expression. I will try it again though....

Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHampy View Post
Hey there,

I've just started brewing again after a 12 year hiatus, and decided to aim high and try out a Ruination clone recipe.

Everything went pretty well, and now I'm wondering how long I should wait until trying one out. 3 weeks? 4? 6? 8?

How about right now?

Now?

With the recipe i used, It came out very citrusy (i'm assuming from the dry hopped nugget hops) ... But all my buddies that drank the free beer I had (ski patrol for all you Three Sheet's watchers) they said that was one of the best qualities of the beer, aside from it being free for them and getting them drunk...

I kegged it impatiently at 13 days... and after about 2 additional weeks the flavors really melded together making a great beer. I'd say give an IPA at least a month if your impatient.. but two months would be better if you have something else to drink in the mean time

Primary #2:

Quick Reply