The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Self/Peer Evaluation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
dutra2418
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default First AG Self/Peer Evaluation

Did my first AG yesterday.

The good: mash ph was right on @ 5.2, I hit my mash temp on the button and stayed there for the whole mash, My homemade mash tun didnt clog! Airlock bubbling happily 10 hours after pitching.

The bad: Brewed outside in teens temps. Regulator on propane froze up and i couldnt get good psi...had to switch to stove top.

The ugly: 57% effeciency...boo! I only mashed for 60 as opposed to the reccomended 75min on the recipe. My OG came up wayyyy short so i had to boil off and add some table sugar. Only wound up with 4 out of 5 gallons.

My question to you all: Was the short mash likely the cause for the low gravity? My crush was good, even borderline shredded. I can upload pics of the tun and gravity numbers if you wish!

Recipe:
6lbs two row pale
2lbs flaked rice
8oz carapils
8oz caramel/crystal malt 40L

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4199 Times on 3057 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutra2418 View Post
Did my first AG yesterday.

The good: mash ph was right on @ 5.2, I hit my mash temp on the button and stayed there for the whole mash, My homemade mash tun didnt clog! Airlock bubbling happily 10 hours after pitching.

The bad: Brewed outside in teens temps. Regulator on propane froze up and i couldnt get good psi...had to switch to stove top.

The ugly: 57% effeciency...boo! I only mashed for 60 as opposed to the reccomended 75min on the recipe. My OG came up wayyyy short so i had to boil off and add some table sugar. Only wound up with 4 out of 5 gallons.

My question to you all: Was the short mash likely the cause for the low gravity? My crush was good, even borderline shredded. I can upload pics of the tun and gravity numbers if you wish!

Recipe:
6lbs two row pale
2lbs flaked rice
8oz carapils
8oz caramel/crystal malt 40L
No, you probably converted just fine in 60 minutes. The poor efficiency could have been caused by a lack of sparge water, especially if you only ended up with 5 gallons! How much did you mash with, and how much did you sparge with?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
dutra2418
Recipes 

Mashed with 11 1/4 qts as per beersmiths orders. Collected about 2 gallons. When empty my tun cant get at a half gallon of water. I then sparged to hit 5 gallons. Didnt disturb the grain bed when sparging. Just poured the runnoff on foil. Took a gravity reading and was under so i left about a half gallon or so in the mash tun. Figured the more i ran the more diluted it would get :-/

Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

In that cold weather you should have ended up with a pre boil volume of 7-7.5 gallons. I did my first all grain yesterday. I had a 7.5 pre boil volume and did a 90 min boil because of pilsner malt. Ended up with 5.75 gallons after boil, 5.5 after chilling and transferred exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter. I actually got a slightly higher gravity than expected.

Yooper is right. You needed more sparge water. You should also stir in your sparge water vigorously and let it sit for 10 mins. Than recirculate and collect the runnings when clear. 2 equal and separate sparges with hot water (180-185) and a good stir will get you a much better efficiency. A lot of your sugars were most likely left behind in your grains.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
dutra2418
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabyboy
In that cold weather you should have ended up with a pre boil volume of 7-7.5 gallons. I did my first all grain yesterday. I had a 7.5 pre boil volume and did a 90 min boil because of pilsner malt. Ended up with 5.75 gallons after boil, 5.5 after chilling and transferred exactly 5 gallons into the fermenter. I actually got a slightly higher gravity than expected.

Yooper is right. You needed more sparge water. You should also stir in your sparge water vigorously and let it sit for 10 mins. Than recirculate and collect the runnings when clear. 2 equal and separate sparges with hot water (180-185) and a good stir will get you a much better efficiency. A lot of your sugars were most likely left behind in your grains.
Thanks! Just curious. What were your gravities? Pre boil and OG.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

No problem. 1.037 preboil. 1.050 post in fermenter.

Quick Reply