Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first AG reciepe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Joedub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first AG reciepe

Ok so I am going to be brewing my first AG batch here in the next month after I burn through some of my extract beers. I have a cooler ready to be converted and will buy the valves and wort chiller from NB.

My real question is what to brew. I want something with a real quick turn around so I can taste it quickly to ensure my process is sound before I move to bigger stuff. I would like to brew a NB kit just out of ease of having everything measured out but I am willing to buy grain separatly. I like most all beers from stouts to IPAs. I have a IPA, blonde and irish stout bottled so I would like to brew a different beer.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Well, when I think quick I normally think pale ales or wheats. Since you've already got an IPA bottled, I'd see if they have any good hefeweizen kits. If you like the banana/clove flavors, make sure you get a good liquid yeast like wyeast 3068. The only downside to this is that wheat can sometimes lead to stuck sparges, but if you make sure to use some rice hulls in your mash it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to avoid that, a nice amber would be different enough from your other beers and still be a relatively quick drinker.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
gunhaver
Recipes 

A hefeweizen can be done in a short amount of time, with just one or two grains, one hop varietal and yeast. Simple stuff.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How about a cream ale?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Joedub
Recipes 

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...grain-kit.html

If this looks good what are your thoughts on using the dry yeast vs liquid I am not familiar with 1945 strain.

Or http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...grain-kit.html

I just want something I know will be good so I can eliminate as many variables as possible so if it turns out just ok I know it is my fault.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

What's the water like in your area? I'd suggest brewing something that fits the water profile the first time. That way you don't have to factor water adjustments into your first attempt.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Of the two you posted, I'd go for the best bitter recipe... Less grains in it, so it will be a little less complicated in profile. Fuggles are a good hop too. Actually one of my favorites for flavor/aroma right now.

I've not used the yeasts they list yet, so can't give much assist there. Other than saying I prefer Wyeast to others at this time (for my beers)...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if either of those, +1 to the best bitter. i'd also add the s-04, as it's dry, and you don't have to worry about it dying during shipment, starters, etc, and it's a clean yeast. i've got an english ipa in the primary under s-04 yeast. and fuggle is a tasty hops, too...

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
Golddiggie
Recipes 

For my water, I use a double filter unit that's under the sink... Not RO level, but it filters out anything over .5 microns. Which covers pretty much all the nasties in water, along with the stuff that makes it taste bad (IMO)... I won't drink the tap water, I won't even use it when brushing my teeth (except to rinse the brush when done).

I've made solid UK/British Isles style brews, as well as some that could be from this side of the pond... If you don't have a filter setup, then you could go with something like Poland Springs water... I just wouldn't go with distilled, or store brand water.

BTW, there are some solid LHBS in your area you know... Why not visit one of them and see what they advise for a first AG brew?

Fermenting
K1:

Old 03-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

I'll third the best bitter recipe. Nice and simple, and the single hop will also give you an idea of the flavor/aroma of Fuggles if you haven't used it before. I wouldn't worry too much about water right now, so long as you don't have too many chloramines in your water (which you probably would have noticed with your extract batches). If you think your water is a little soft and want to add a little gypsum or Burton salts it might not hurt, but that's one more variable to have to worry about that I would ignore. I've not done anything to my water yet and haven't run into anything that bothers me .

By the way, if you decide to get interested in water or putting together recipes, I'd suggest Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Great book, and really goes into a number of styles as far as their history, malt components, water particulars, etc.

Quick Reply