Originally Posted by bearymore
Thanks for all the advice.
I ended up adding the strike water first at 168 per Beersmith. I covered the cooler and let it sit for 10 minutes. The temp was down to 164 which was the strike temp that Beersmith gave without accounting for equipment. I then stirred in the grain, covered and let it sit for 5 minutes. At that point I took the temp - 152 exactly! Just what the recipe called for.
Right now it's sitting in the tun. I'll take the temp after 20 min and see if I need to adjust. So far so good...
Great job!!!! Now don't change a thing!
It took me about 8 AG batches to get to where you got on your first one.
Of course, now I can do continuous batches, 5 gallons every 75 minutes indefinitely. Ahhh.. crappy efficiency and missed mash temps... those were the days.
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA