New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG - Grain first or strike water first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
bearymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up adding the strike water first at 168 per Beersmith. I covered the cooler and let it sit for 10 minutes. The temp was down to 164 which was the strike temp that Beersmith gave without accounting for equipment. I then stirred in the grain, covered and let it sit for 5 minutes. At that point I took the temp - 152 exactly! Just what the recipe called for.

Right now it's sitting in the tun. I'll take the temp after 20 min and see if I need to adjust. So far so good...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post

I ended up adding the strike water first at 168 per Beersmith. I covered the cooler and let it sit for 10 minutes. The temp was down to 164 which was the strike temp that Beersmith gave without accounting for equipment. I then stirred in the grain, covered and let it sit for 5 minutes. At that point I took the temp - 152 exactly! Just what the recipe called for.

Right now it's sitting in the tun. I'll take the temp after 20 min and see if I need to adjust. So far so good...
That's how I do it. Works every time. You can then put some values in ProMash/etc and find the thermal mass of your MLT if you ever would need it.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
bearymore
Recipes 

Well, the brew is finished. I got 67% efficiency -- 6.5 gallons in the kettle and 5.1 in the fermenter. The OG was 1.052. The boil off was just as predicted, but I was about 1/2 gallon short in the kettle.

I think my efficiency was somewhat low because I opened the mash tun every 20 minutes during the mash and gave it a good stir (not vigorous enough to aerate, though). I think this lowered the temperature too much. It was down to 147 after 45 minutes. Since it lost only one degree in the 20 minutes before the first stir, I think my stirring brought the temp. down too low. Anyway, the beer is in the fermenter and I can already see a krausen forming after all of 3 1/2 hours. So things are going well so far.

Do most people stir during the mash more than once? What is the usual practice for a single infusion?

Here is the recipe:

8 lbs Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 71.11 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM) Grain 22.22 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
0.50 oz Galena [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
0.75 oz Willamette [4.60 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU

It is a slight adaptation of John Palmer's Oak Butt Brown Ale.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #14
Thalon

Recipes 

As soon as I hit the strike temp, I pull out my probe thermometer sensor and leave the lid shut for the entire mash. I have a Coleman Xtreme cooler that loses less than 1 degree in an hour, as long as I keep it completely sealed. I've also seen the same cooler lose 5 degrees in an hour if I leave the thermometer sensor in the whole time. Ouch.

As long as you stir well the first time and get all the dry pockets of grain broken up, it will be fine without stirring. I'd say let the temperature and moisture do its thing.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:19 AM   #15
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post

Great job!!!! Now don't change a thing! It took me about 8 AG batches to get to where you got on your first one.

Of course, now I can do continuous batches, 5 gallons every 75 minutes indefinitely. Ahhh.. crappy efficiency and missed mash temps... those were the days.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #16
kjones
Recipes 

I just did that recipe the other day, (I posted about the hot and cold break geting into the fermentor) anyway, I did the recipe exactly the way he said, added about a gallon of boiling water to preheat my tun let it sit a few minutes and poured it out, then i added 160 degree strike water, I hit 152 exactly and barely dropped any over the course of an hour, but i wouldnt recommend adding the boiling water bc it buckled up the bottom of my cooler pretty good, so I think i will try it your way next time

Quick Reply