first AG, can't decide what to make!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
any suggestions on a good first all grain? i have been preparing for weeks and obsessing about my equipment and set up. i am ready, but i can't decide what to brew. something i've done bfore so i can compare? i would like to make something where i can taste and compare the difference between extract and AG maltiness. thanks for any help.

Well, what do you like the best? My favorite style is IPA, so that's the first thing I made when I went AG. What was your favorite extract beer you made? Maybe make that now as an AG.

I'd recommend Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale or Edwort's Bee Cave Haus Ale. Both recipes have been done numerous times, so there is tons of advice and information in those threads. They are both relatively simple recipes as well (Dude's does use more hops). The LWPA is more like a mild IPA, where as the Bee Cave is a standard American Pale Ale.

Dude's was my first AG batch and it was great.

I'd keep it simple and a beer you enjoy drinking. I did EdWort's Haus Pale Ale as my first.....

Comb through the recipe database and pick a recipe that is a style that you enjoy, AND is a simple single-infusion mash. You'll like the beer and there'll be less steps in your inaugural run. Good luck!

thanks all for the replies. i like the look of the Haus pale ale. and , i like the sound of single infusion. i'm definitely not ready to do anything else.

Most beers can be done with a single infusion mash. I think starting with something with plenty of hops (to cover mistakes) is a great idea, but I love hops. Maybe a stout with it's roasty notes would be good, too, if you're into stouts.

I'd stick to a 2row based recipe that does not contain wheat. You can get the kinks worked out of your mash tun and chiller setup without dealing with whear stuck sparge problems and excess DMS from pils.

i like the haus beer because it ferments quickly and i am impatient when i am excited and i haven't been this amped about brewing since my first brew 10 years ago!!!

yeah, i made my mash tun (which is in my galleries if you guys want to critique it). i think i did it right. water goes through it and it doesn't leak.

Back