Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Brewday!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First AG Brewday!!!!!

So I brewed a SNPA yesterday and the recipe called for 6.5 gal of wort pre 90min boil. My Beersmith told me that I should adjust to 7.3 gal because of the longer boil. So I adjusted to 7gal and ended up with 6 gal of wort, even though i got over a half gallon of extra wort I still hit my expected OG dead on (1.054) how is this?
Now I have the problem of 6 gal of beer fermenting in a 6.5 gal bucket...
I dont understand why Beersmith over shot the expected evap rates. If i would have followed it to a T then would have probably ended up with 6.5ish gal of beer.
When I was transfering form kettle to primary I poured it, very aggresively, through a strainer and about 3/4 of the way through foam was pouring out of the bucket. I didnt know what to do, so I just kept pouring until I emptied my whole pot. Then I shook the bucket (as if it wernt areated enough) and pitched.
What are yalls thoughts on all this???
Thanks guys

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”
― Rafael Sabatini, Fortune's Fool

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I think you just need to dial in your equipment profile. This is pretty standard on new style of brewing, systems, equipment, burners, etc. Equipment profile values you need to look at adjusting are: kettle losses, evaporation rate, fermenter losses, etc.

Start with an equipment profile that closely matches your system; copy it; paste it; rename it; and start adjusting the values to best match your system. After 2-4 batches you should have it dialed in fairly well.

As to why your gravity was right on even though you had much more wort than expected, it's possibly due to a good extraction efficiency. Simply, you got more sugar out of the grain than the default efficiency estimated. This is another value that will become clearer as you progress from batch to batch.

Using the values, gravities, and volumes that you've already collected you can start dialing in your system. Next batch will be much closer to the estimates by doing so.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I think you just need to dial in your equipment profile. This is pretty standard on new style of brewing, systems, equipment, burners, etc. Equipment profile values you need to look at adjusting are: kettle losses, evaporation rate, fermenter losses, etc.

Start with an equipment profile that closely matches your system; copy it; paste it; rename it; and start adjusting the values to best match your system. After 2-4 batches you should have it dialed in fairly well.

As to why your gravity was right on even though you had much more wort than expected, it's possibly due to a good extraction efficiency. Simply, you got more sugar out of the grain than the default efficiency estimated. This is another value that will become clearer as you progress from batch to batch.

Using the values, gravities, and volumes that you've already collected you can start dialing in your system. Next batch will be much closer to the estimates by doing so.
I wrote down a list of about 25-30 things that I need to do differently and lessons learned later that night. The biggest one was that I wasent taking notes as I went. This was mostly because I had a lot of things going on at the time (wife was gone, two kids trying to drink my idophor mix, had to leave to meet someone in the middle of my mash) This next brew day I am going to have to really measure evap rates and pay closer attention to heat lost in mash tun.
It was a very stressfull brew day that is for sure and I know that is not what it should be like.

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”
― Rafael Sabatini, Fortune's Fool

Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The important thing is to keep the hobby fun, otherwise it becomes too much work. Last year, I had to re-evaluate my brewing process because I wasn't brewing as much as I wanted due to the work involved in brewing. I was OBSESSED with sanitation, and process, and tradition. I had to take a step back; re-evaluate my process; remove all steps that I could; and re-invent my process in such a way that it was fun again. Part of this was switching from bottles to kegs (I loathed bottling day; again, because of my obsession with sanitation). In the end, I've found that I produce better beer than I ever have before, and enjoy the hobby WAY more than I have for the past 17 years - just like back in '95 when I started.

Keep it simple and keep it fun, and you'll see the stress fade away

Besides, it was your first all grain, that's a bit stressful in and of itself.

Cheers!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
The important thing is to keep the hobby fun, otherwise it becomes too much work. Last year, I had to re-evaluate my brewing process because I wasn't brewing as much as I wanted due to the work involved in brewing. I was OBSESSED with sanitation, and process, and tradition. I had to take a step back; re-evaluate my process; remove all steps that I could; and re-invent my process in such a way that it was fun again. Part of this was switching from bottles to kegs (I loathed bottling day; again, because of my obsession with sanitation). In the end, I've found that I produce better beer than I ever have before, and enjoy the hobby WAY more than I have for the past 17 years - just like back in '95 when I started.

Keep it simple and keep it fun, and you'll see the stress fade away

Besides, it was your first all grain, that's a bit stressful in and of itself.

Cheers!
Bottling is something I just can't give up. Maybe I just need to prime in the corny keg? Something about "bottle conditioned" that I think really adds to a beer. Particularly an aged beer, but really any beer. Maybe that "something" is extra time and hassle and work and storing of bottles everywhere. Anyway with 2,500 bottles and caps (seriously) it's unlikely that I will be buying kegging equipment anytime soon!

It is a hassle, but I pretty much go zen with it. The bottle trees really helped with the sanitation and moving them around.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
MEPNew2Brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On evaporation rates - I just got some new equipment and I just boiled 5 gallons of water for an hour to determine the evaporation rate. While I don't know if wort and water will evaporate at the same rate, I figured it was better than just using the BeerSmith default and "experimenting" on the first batch.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
bbohanon
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post
Bottling is something I just can't give up. Maybe I just need to prime in the corny keg? Something about "bottle conditioned" that I think really adds to a beer. Particularly an aged beer, but really any beer. Maybe that "something" is extra time and hassle and work and storing of bottles everywhere. Anyway with 2,500 bottles and caps (seriously) it's unlikely that I will be buying kegging equipment anytime soon!

It is a hassle, but I pretty much go zen with it. The bottle trees really helped with the sanitation and moving them around.
I want to start kegging more myself but my 10 year old would be sorely disappointed if she could not help dad fill up the beer bottles.
It also makes it easy to bring in a sixer to my co-workers when I want to share from the pipeline.

As others have said, dial-in your equipment, nail down a good calming brew day routine, and have fun!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohanon
I want to start kegging more myself but my 10 year old would be sorely disappointed if she could not help dad fill up the beer bottles. It also makes it easy to bring in a sixer to my co-workers when I want to share from the pipeline. As others have said, dial-in your equipment, nail down a good calming brew day routine, and have fun!
Look up "poor mans beer gun" and you will see you can use a picnic tap to bottle from a keg.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 129

OP, I know this is a dumb question, but you did correct your gravity reading for temp?

If you did, you did well for your first all grain, congratulation!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Black Island Brewer
An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post

We are kindred spirits, my friend. I love the Zen of bottling. Have you found the Vinator pump that fits in the bottling tree for spraying sanitizer in the bottles?

Quick Reply