Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Brew Day set for Saturday... Wish Me Luck!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
MollyHatchet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy

+1. Notes notes notes. You won't know just how important notes are until you screw up and make the best beer ever!! Take notes!
Very good point, if you make a mistake, or something didn't go as planned and the out come is far better than you could have ever hoped for. We always tend to look at something not going right and ending up with a batch of very difficult beer to drink. You may possibly be a proud popa with your chest puffed out and swelled head!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess I never thought that much about taking notes, but that's definitely a great idea! I will be doing that. What better way to duplicate, or not duplicate for that matter, a beer if you know exactly what you did? Thanks for the info. I forgot to make my starter last night, but I'm hoping if I do it tonight it should be far enough along by the evening tomorrow to pitch. I've read a bunch of different opinions on how long a starter should sit prior to pitching so I'm hoping 12-18hrs will be sufficient.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did my first without brew software, and I spent a long time writing things down to make sure I wouldn't forget things. I still forgot things. It's easier with a brew sheet printed out by something with a brain less squishy than mine.

I'd measure everything you can whenever you can and take notes.

Mash tun dead space, pre-boil gravity, pre-boil volume, OG, post-boil volume, any changes you make on the fly (oops I put in my flavor addition 2 minutes late! etc).

You should measure temperature loss in your mash tun also to get an idea about what is happening in there during your mash. You might want to wrap it in a blanket if you're using a cooler.

Also, consider how you're going to be moving things around. Logistics can really get overwhelming.

Jesus, I re-read that post and it makes it sound like a nightmare, but if you think things through it really isn't.

It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Started at 11am this morning. Got sidetracked with getting tires put on my car for winter but im done with the brew as of 5:30pm. Things went well, I believe. Estimated OG was 1.090, actual was 1.082 so I hit roughly 70% efficiency. Pretty good in my mind. Sanitation was ok. Had to cool the wort out in the snow since my cooler never showed up yet so I was a little worried about being outsude thag long. I vorlaufed almost a gallon for first running but was still getting a few small grains. Hopefully its still good. Sparging went through without a problem. Pics to come soon. Thanks for the info!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts

Awesome. I'm still getting my AG brewery together but should have it running soon.

Quick Reply