Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG, BIAB w/ NB double crush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
jtswkd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First AG, BIAB w/ NB double crush

Just did my first BIAB AG brew and everything looks great! Its a NB Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter kit. Hit mash temps exactly, lost 1.5 degrees in 70 minutes, overshot my mashout temp by 7 degrees but still wound up with 78.8% efficiency so not bad!

NB double crushed the grain for me and turned out great, I use a keggle, worked out really well for my first AG brew, wayyyy easier than i thought it was going to be.

My SG wound up at 1.052, target was 1.058 so not too bad, I wound up with a little more than 5 gal so it is expected that the SG would be a little low.

Next time starting with .8 gal less than beersmith says (did .3 less this time) and then will add top off water if need be.

Overall went smooth and can attribute that to all of the helpful threads here on homebrewtalk, the wealth of nfo here is amazing and helped me go from nothing to all-grain in a keggle in 4 batches! Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Chuckabrewski
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Congrats i also completed my first AG today. It was awesome and im ready for the next one.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Old 07-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
jtswkd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an english mild in the freezer waiting its turn, gotta kill the american wheat in the keg then it will be time for the mild. Can't wait! In the meantime got my buddy to go get some ingredients for a dead guy clone and we'll be brewing that soon on my equipment and then bottling that one.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
ProfessorBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

How did you get NB to double crush the grain? I getting ready to do their Surly Bender AG kit in a BIAB, but I didn't know they would double crush it.

Tap #1: Smooth Brown Ale
Tap #2: Black IPA
Primary #1: India Brown Ale
Primary #2: -empty-
Secondary: -empty-
Upcoming Brews: Scottish Export, Czech Pilsner

Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
zmad2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I also finished my first all grain yesterday. Congrats on the efficiency mine came in low but thats cause i did a few things wrong. Not sure if i am getting better at brewing but i almost seamed easier to do all grain vs extract.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
mateo27
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorbrew
how did you get nb to double crush the grain? I getting ready to do their surly bender ag kit in a biab, but i didn't know they would double crush it.
+1

Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
jtswkd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I call in my order. I get 10% off for military discount. The guy on the phone said he couldn't guarantee the packer would double crush but he put a note asking them to. When I do the mild ill take a pic of the crush

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I placed an order with Midwest supplies. (2 kits)
They double crushed both - no crushing charge.

The thing they cant do is separate the grains into bags, since its pre mixed and bundled together. I was going to hold out the kilned grains from the mash

Quick Reply