The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Belgian Golden Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
spui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG Belgian Golden Ale

This is my first Belgian 14lbs Belgian pale malt, 1lb Cara pils, 1/8 lb aromatic, 1lb clear candi sugar, 1.5oz styrian goldings, 1.5oz saaz, white labs 550 belgian yeast. So its been in primary for 18days. I just transferred it to the secondary. Its tastes a little hoppy and plenty of funk smell and the trub at the bottom had a little green in it. Does this sound normal so far? Not much flavor off of the yeast I was expecting more, does that come on with aging? Oh and the gravity started at 1.075 and ended at 1.010.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds delicious. Give it some time and you will be rewarded.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Give it some time. Belgians are not like most brews and really do change with time. I brew them a lot and almost always leave them in the fermenter for 5-6 weeks. Then bottle. For bottle conditioning think months instead of weeks. They really do improve with time.

Belgians are not for those that do not have patience.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Give it some time. Belgians are not like most brews and really do change with time. I brew them a lot and almost always leave them in the fermenter for 5-6 weeks. Then bottle. For bottle conditioning think months instead of weeks. They really do improve with time.

Belgians are not for those that do not have patience.
This.

I just had the last bottle of a Saison I brewed back in June the other day, and it was worlds better than the ones I started opening up after the prescribed 3 weeks after bottling.

If you aren't really tasting much flavor from the yeast, what temperature did you have it fermenting at? I ferment most of my Belgians in the mid-70's, mid-80's for my Saisons, and I'm happy with the ester/phenol production in my homebrews.

Quick Reply