New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG batch. Worry about water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
kman42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG batch. Worry about water?

I'm about to brew my first AG batch. I've never brewed with the water in my area before; should I worry about it or just go for it? Is there any sense in filtering the tap water (it tastes fine to me).

I live in San Diego and I've heard the water is somewhat alkaline (pH7.5-8).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

For your first AG batch I would not worry about changing your water unless it tastes bad to drink out of the tap. I would go with it. If you have a charcoal filter it could help with taste but wont really affect it for brewing purposes. Not necessary however, if it tastes good straight from the tap.

You MIGHT want to use some pH 5.2 to help buffer the water so that you efficiency does not suffer if the residual alkalinity of your water does not agree with the beer you are making. This again is not a huge deal and I personally would not worry about it for my first AG batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply