Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG batch -- two batch sparges?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
stikolaboloni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
My experience of 415 batches is that doing more than one batch sparge makes so little difference that it isn't worth my time or effort. The only exception is if I'm making a batch so big I can't fit all the sparge water in at once. If you haven't seen it already, take a look at www.dennybrew.com .
Good stuff, thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
My experience of 415 batches is that doing more than one batch sparge makes so little difference that it isn't worth my time or effort. The only exception is if I'm making a batch so big I can't fit all the sparge water in at once. If you haven't seen it already, take a look at www.dennybrew.com .
On my system, specially for bigger beers it does make a difference, few months ago i did 1 sparge brewing, had final volumes in BK but just out of curiosity i added 3gal of water to the grains in MT and it was coming out as 1.020og wort, since then for big beers or 10gal batches i double sparge, if i have to sparge with 8gal i do 6gal 1st sparge and 2.5gal 2nd sparge and top of the BK

Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I can see if you have really thick grist when you sparge that you might want to do two batches, but if you can get to nearly 2qts/lb of grain, I'd think that's rinsing the sugars out effectively.

On that bigger beer how much grain and sparge water were involved in the first batch sparge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply