The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first AG batch tomorrow checklist inside advice appreciated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Dziuggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first AG batch Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Ok so i am doing my first all grain batch tomorrow. i decided to make check list so i dont forget anything. anyways i'm posting it up here and maybe you guys can point out something i might have missed or give me advice on improving one step or another.

my equipment consists of 8 gallon kettle, 40qt cooler/MLT, plastic 6.5g primary and 5 gallon glass primary.

so tonight i will make some ice for ice bath to cool down the wort. also will activate my wyest activator pack and leave it out till pitching. (any pointers about Wyeast activator pack thing?? never dont that before as i only used dry yeast till this point) one question i have is it good idea to add yeast nutrition to the wort? do you guys do it or is it unnecessary.

ok now for the brew day.

clean all the equipment, soak fermenter and all post boil stuff in starsan.

one question my water contains chloramine so i bought some Campden tablets to get rid of it. when should i add it in? before mashing or into the boil?

heat up 16.25 quarts of strike water add ph5.2 to the strike water. check grain temperature and calculate strike temp. heat up extra hot water for adjustment. heat up 17 quarts of sparge water to 170.
put it in a mash tun leave for 5 min to heat it up check temperature, add grain.
stir grain thoroughly check that desired temp. is reached (adjust with hot or cold water if necessary). let it rest for 60 minutes.

after mashing is done, recycle wort (use tin foil so recycling does not disturb the grain bed - or any other ideas?) after wort cleared up
collect first runnings. add sparge water, mix grain let it rest for 10 min or so, recycle then collect 2nd runnings.

boil for 60 minutes, add hops where necessary. i saw some people skimming the wort is it recommended? at 15 minutes put in immersion chiller to sanitize it.

after boil is done put it in the ice bath and start immersion chiller. cool it down to 75 or so. put into fermenter pitch yeast.

done.

if anyone is curious i will be making belgian strong pale ale (kwakish)

recipe is as follows:

11 lbs german pilsner 2-row (1.6srm)
1.5 lbs munich malt 10L (10srm)
0.5 lbs special B (180srm)
1.5 lbs dextrose (0srm)
0.75 oz challenger @ 60 min
1 oz styrian goldings @ 15 min
0.25 oz challenger @ 3 min
0.25 oz saaz @ 3 min
and Wyeast abbey II (1762)

anyways pointer would be great i think i got it down but trying not to forget anyhthing.

edit: it is done updated info page 2

Last edited by Dziuggy; 08-25-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

what will you be collecting 1st runnings into? Your boil kettle will have the sparge water in it no? I guess you could collect into the bucket.

170 is probably too hot for dough in. i use a 40qt cooler for mash and it drops 10-11 degrees for an average 5 gallon batch. are you using an orange gatorade style drink cooler?

Old 08-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

If you're brewing tomorrow, the chloramine goes in the 10 gallons of water NOW! It takes at least overnight for the reactions to occur.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Your technique looks pretty good, but I'm wondering. You said you're doing an ice batch, but also using an immersion chiller? I guess it depends on your tap water temperature, but you probably don't need an ice batch for the wort, or at least you won't need it until the wort is at or below tap water temperature to finish it off. If you add the brewpot to the icebath, you're just wasting time/ice while the immersion chiller runs.

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you so please don't take it that way! But if you only have ONE yeast package, and you didn't do a yeast starter, that's a concern. For an OG higher than 1.060, even Wyeast tells you to do a yeast starter. I think you should do one with an OG of greater than 1.040ish, but that's neither here nor there. I hope you have at least two yeast packages (probably four would be better) for a wort of 1.075-1.080.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Dziuggy
Recipes 

thanks for quick replies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
what will you be collecting 1st runnings into? Your boil kettle will have the sparge water in it no? I guess you could collect into the bucket.
170 is probably too hot for dough in. i use a 40qt cooler for mash and it drops 10-11 degrees for an average 5 gallon batch. are you using an orange gatorade style drink cooler?
well i have another pot i can do sparge water in, so i will be collecting into the kettle. the temperature i will adjust when i measure grain temp. and i can always stir it up a bit to bring it down before dough in. thanks for advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If you're brewing tomorrow, the chloramine goes in the 10 gallons of water NOW! It takes at least overnight for the reactions to occur.
so should i pour 10 gallons tonight and add the campden tablets? because chloramine cant airate out.

Quote:
Your technique looks pretty good, but I'm wondering. You said you're doing an ice batch, but also using an immersion chiller? I guess it depends on your tap water temperature, but you probably don't need an ice batch for the wort, or at least you won't need it until the wort is at or below tap water temperature to finish it off. If you add the brewpot to the icebath, you're just wasting time/ice while the immersion chiller runs.

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you so please don't take it that way! But if you only have ONE yeast package, and you didn't do a yeast starter, that's a concern. For an OG higher than 1.060, even Wyeast tells you to do a yeast starter. I think you should do one with an OG of greater than 1.040ish, but that's neither here nor there. I hope you have at least two yeast packages (probably four would be better) for a wort of 1.075-1.080.
well reason i was thinking ice bath as well , is because my chiller is only 25ft coil. hm i only have one yeast pack. can i make started today or should i buy more? i cant get this one in my LHBS but i guess i could do 2 liquid white labs abbey IV (540) instead. what do you think?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziuggy View Post
thanks for quick replies!!

so should i pour 10 gallons tonight and add the campden tablets? because chloramine cant airate out.

well reason i was thinking ice bath as well , is because my chiller is only 25ft coil. hm i only have one yeast pack. can i make started today or should i buy more? i cant get this one in my LHBS but i guess i could do 2 liquid white labs abbey IV (540) instead. what do you think?
Yes, put the campden tablet in the water tonight!

I'm no expert on Belgian yeast strains, but you definitely don't have enough yeast with the one smackpack. I guess I'd read up on the website (both White Labs and Wyeast have one) and pick the best strain for the beer.

Then, I'd go to mrmalty.com and click on the "yeast pitching calculator" to get an idea of the proper amount of yeast you'd need for this beer. I'm guessing four vials, but that's just a guess. You may be able to get by with less.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Yooper, is there any way you can confirm this? I have researched quite extensively and have some good info from many sources that concludes the opposite.

I follow all of your advice on the board, so I'm sure you'll prove me to be wrong in fairly short order.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
Dziuggy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038 View Post
Yooper, is there any way you can confirm this? I have researched quite extensively and have some good info from many sources that concludes the opposite.

I follow all of your advice on the board, so I'm sure you'll prove me to be wrong in fairly short order.
we'll i have been reading up quite a bit. it seems that campden reacion is almost instant, but it makes some sulfur. sulfur can kill the yeast. now concentration is small, but then i dont have a lot of yeast so might treat water today just to be sure. looks like i need more yeast though. it sucks since my LHBS does not sell wyest, i can buy white labs to replace it. i just used pitching calculator and i says i need a least 3 packets without a starter. grrrr

i could make a starter but i dont have any DME or anythhing. so i am stuck. will have to buy wl abbey 4 tommorow

Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038 View Post

Exactly what dziuggy said- it is pretty quick, but I'd like to let it sit for a bit to get rid of the residual stuff as well, like sulfur dioxide. You can probably use the water right away, but if you do it the night before, the water is certainly ready the next morning. When I add campden, I can still smell the sulfur for several hours and I would rather wait until there is no odor. Will it hurt the beer? I don't know (doubt it) but the smell bothers me.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

That makes sense. I think I will do some testing for myself and see what I come up with. Thanks!

Quick Reply