Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Batch started!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First AG Batch started!

Nailed the protien rest temps (122), held perfectly for the req time. Sacc rest was a little high, I was shooting for 150 but ended up 160 for about 15 or so mins before I could cool it off enough. Heating up mash out water now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts

Nicely done. Mash temps being high for a short time shouldn't hurt I don't think, so long as you don't go over about 168 and start extracting tannins from the husks... so you're golden, nicely done. Let us know how your efficiency comes out!

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ok started the fly sparge, i'm a little worried. i'm getting two different reading on my thermometers. 10 deg different. i'm going with the digital one.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'll spare you the gory details, but needless to say it was a disaster! My wort ended up all over the porch. Right before I was going to take my OG, it tipped. It would have been nice to take that reading so I could at least see how my process was doing. I will however, make a slight adjustment to my equipment setup. (mental note to self, need a better foundation). Lesson learned, darn gravity will get you every time. I'll try again next weekend, anybody know how long I can keep my starter active? I guess I could always start another one on Wednesday.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I too had issue on my first AG brew day. And like you it was on Saturday. I didn't lose my wort like you did, and in your beer's honor I shall hoist one in his memory.

Quick Reply