Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Batch Sparge ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default First AG Batch Sparge ?

I picked up an All Grain Kolsch Kit at Austin HBS this afternoon. It has 6.5 lbs of German Pilsener and 2.5 lbs. of Red Wheat. The instructions say to mash with 1.5 quarts of water per lb. of grain which comes to almost about 3.3 gallons.

While my MLT is only a 5 Gallon cooler, do you think this is too much mash water?

Also, since I'm doing a batch sparge, do I just divide the sparge water by 2 and run it through in two batches? How long do I let it rest each time before running a vorlauf and draining it into the kettle? Thanks!

Last edited by EdWort; 08-06-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think the instructions say to mash with 1.5 quarts of water per lb. of grain. There is plenty of room in your cooler for that mash.

I'll let someone else answer the sparge question, as I only fly-sparge.

-a.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Yep, they say mash with 1.5 quarts per lb of grain. It'll be a while till I have a fly sparge setup. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
utahusker

Recipes 

I would mash at 1.25 quarts per lb. and run off. Then sparge the exact amount needed to make the batch needed.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You first need to determine how much wort you will be boiling and that would be adjusting for evaporation. You should also make a dry run to determine how much dead space there is in your setup. What are you going to use for a filter? I use a stainless braid which is great.
Lets say you want 7 gallons to start with and will boil off to 5.5. You will need to split the 7 gallons in half for first infusion and then the sparge. I figure .1 quart for absobtion which must be calculated for in the first infusion. You have 9 pounds of grain so:
9*1.5 = 3.375 gallons
then subtract .9 gallon for absorbtion.
I figure about 2.4 gallons left. You will need to add 1.1 gallons to take you to 3.5 on the first running. You can add the 1.1 at the end of the hour mash before the first vorlauf.
The 2nd running is easy at 3.5 gallons.
I mash for 1 hour.
It takes a couple of attempts to determind how your system works. Let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help you with.

Gary

Old 08-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Fantastic! Thanks. I'll do the 7 gallon boil off to 5.5.

I have a 5 gallon rubbermaid with a false bottom. I'm going to try this and then try the steel braid idea next time.

Tomorrow's the day. All Grain! I'll then have two beers and a cider cookin for the kegerator. I'm changing out the tower for 3 faucets. Thanks again!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply