The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Batch - Grain Bill ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
crzynate25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First AG Batch - Grain Bill ?

So I'm about to tackle my first AG next weekend and decided to do a clone, so I taste mine against the real thing to see how well I did. Long and the short of it is, I found Flat Ass Tired recipe by hophead. Went to my LHBS and got everything I needed. The problem I have is that he calls for 6 lbs of Belgium Pale malt and 2 lbs of home toasted Pale malt and when I got my grains I just said 8lbs of Belgium Pale malt. I got all my grain home I noticed that they were nice enough to crush my grains for me, all of them. So now I do not have 2lbs of uncrushed malt to toast. I'm wondering if I should buy 2 more lbs of pale malt and roast then add to my existing grain bill or add something different. Any help would be great help. Below is the recipe I am working with.

---

"The flavor similarities in this beer to Fat Tire are remarkable. SRM is 12 and Fat Tire is more like 11, so it's very close. I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins). Highly recommeded by my "Beer Wench"...Before anyone questions the IBU's...the balance of the beer takes care of it. If anyone brews it, please let me know what you think. " "The flavor similarities in this beer to Fat Tire are remarkable. SRM is 12 and Fat Tire is more like 11, so it's very close. I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins). Highly recommeded by my "Beer Wench"...Before anyone questions the IBU's...the balance of the beer takes care of it. If anyone brews it, please let me know what you think. "

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3 SRM) Grain 58.5 %
2.00 lb Amber Malt (22 SRM) Grain 19.5 % <-- Home Toasted
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Special Roast (50 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.5%] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (30 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 1000 ml]

---

Thanks
CrzyNate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzynate25 View Post
So I'm about to tackle my first AG next weekend and decided to do a clone, so I taste mine against the real thing to see how well I did. Long and the short of it is, I found Flat Ass Tired recipe by hophead. Went to my LHBS and got everything I needed. The problem I have is that he calls for 6 lbs of Belgium Pale malt and 2 lbs of home toasted Pale malt and when I got my grains I just said 8lbs of Belgium Pale malt. I got all my grain home I noticed that they were nice enough to crush my grains for me, all of them. So now I do not have 2lbs of uncrushed malt to toast. I'm wondering if I should buy 2 more lbs of pale malt and roast then add to my existing grain bill or add something different. Any help would be great help. Below is the recipe I am working with.

---

"The flavor similarities in this beer to Fat Tire are remarkable. SRM is 12 and Fat Tire is more like 11, so it's very close. I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins). Highly recommeded by my "Beer Wench"...Before anyone questions the IBU's...the balance of the beer takes care of it. If anyone brews it, please let me know what you think. " "The flavor similarities in this beer to Fat Tire are remarkable. SRM is 12 and Fat Tire is more like 11, so it's very close. I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins). Highly recommeded by my "Beer Wench"...Before anyone questions the IBU's...the balance of the beer takes care of it. If anyone brews it, please let me know what you think. "

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3 SRM) Grain 58.5 %
2.00 lb Amber Malt (22 SRM) Grain 19.5 % <-- Home Toasted
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.25 lb Special Roast (50 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.5%] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (30 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.5%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [Starter 1000 ml]

---

Thanks
CrzyNate
For simplicity you could just brew the beer as is with what you have. It will still be good. To get the extra bit of toasty flavor you could take a couple of pounds of the milled grains and very carefully toast them in your oven. Because the grains have been milled use care not to burn or scorch naked particles of malt. Use a modest oven temp, maybe 300F, and stir the grain every few minutes to help reduce hot spots. Keep an eye on the grains to watch for sticking and burning. When you can smell toasty and slightly nutty aromas stop and remove the grains from the oven. It should happen within 10 minutes. That is a very respected recipe. If you like Fat Tire I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, just brew it up as is -- don't worry about the lack of toasted malt. It'll be great, slightly different than the recipe as created but it'll still be a great beer.

Personally, I wouldn't toasted already milled grain. Just too easy to burn it & not at all the same as toasting whole grains.

RDWHAHB!

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yeah, I'm getting ready to do my first AG batch soon as well -though I'm doing a recipe I got in BYOs' mag, an old-style Munich Dunkel -but since the grains are so delicate outside of their husk, I'd be really concerned about scorching. Your beer SHOULD be quite good on its own, as these others have said. As a fellow first-time all-grainer, please tell of your experience!

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
crzynate25
Recipes 

Thanks Guys for the input! I'll follow up with my experience and let you know how everything goes. As for the toasted grains, as I thought about it a little more, Why not brew it this way and then later on brew it with the toasted grains! Thanks again

Quick Reply