first ag batch funny after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbeer69

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle of my first ag batch. (Blonde Ale) It has kind of a plastic after taste. Not sure if its because of my equipment which is all new. Cooler mash tun, 10gal. aluminum kettle, or if its the hops,yeast,irish moss. which is hallertauer,saaz, and wlp california ale yeast. any suggestions thanks

I prep my water the.night before. Fill 10+ gallons and treat it with campden tablets.
Match want to brew same blonde with the treatment next time. Lighter ales will show off flavors more. I thinks. In hot tub drunk, maybe

The effect I got from chlorine was metallic, a plastic taste is usually oxidation.

The effect I got from chlorine was metallic, a plastic taste is usually oxidation.

In my experience, a "plastic" taste is almost always chlorophenols- a phenolic flavor created from chlorine in the brewing water.

Oxidation is a "sherry" flavor that gets closer to a "wet cardboard" flavor as the beer ages and the oxidation gets worse.

Perhaps the brand-new picnic-cooler mash tun gave a plasticky flavor to the beer? I can only imagine the plasticizers in the resin ("new car smell") would get into the hot wort fairly easily, but I have too little experience to say for sure. Thoughts?

Some wild yeasts give plastic tastes too, I hear.

Back