Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First 10 gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
suprat78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello Everyone,

Today I pulled off my first 10 gal batch, I have to say it went really well and I don't think it was any harder than brewing a 5 gallon batch other than filling 2 fermenters instead of 1.

In-fact in some ways it was easy'r than a 5 gal batch, I BIAB in 1 pot and found that my mash temps today held much better/longer with less drop with the larger volume of water, quite a lot less adjustments were needed.

As far as clean up, it seemed the same as doing a 5 gal batch.

Im thinking from now on 10 gal batches on tried and tested beers, and 5 gal batches on new recipes.

I also used a KAB-6 burner for the first time, Holy Hot Burner Batman! is all I can say, boiling 10+ gal was easy, super quiet too.

Just wanted to share my experience, incase someone else is debating wether on not to try a 10 gal batch.

I say go for it.

Cheers
What size kettle are you using? I BIAB and want to move to ten gallon batches on tried and true recipes as well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Clef051
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm doing around 11 gallon batches now. My girlfriend bought me a 26 gallon kettle around christmas. I made a new 60ft immersion chiller that I use for cooling now. I also got a new 1/2" auto siphon that speeds up the transfer time.

My first brew on it was with my friend and we brewed 20 gal and each took half. I brewed a couple of 15 gal batches also but that was to much to bottle at once.

I use buckets transfer the wort around so I'm not usually lift more than 5 gal at a time.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprat78 View Post
What size kettle are you using? I BIAB and want to move to ten gallon batches on tried and true recipes as well!
Hello, I have a 15 gal kettle, 12 gal of strike water and 20 lbs of grain fit in it about 1 1/2" to 2" down from the top, then I do a rinse sparge to get my full boil volume after removing the grain bags from the kettle.

After boil I end up with about 11 to 11.5 gal

Hope this helps you chose the right size pot.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef051 View Post
I'm doing around 11 gallon batches now. My girlfriend bought me a 26 gallon kettle around christmas. I made a new 60ft immersion chiller that I use for cooling now. I also got a new 1/2" auto siphon that speeds up the transfer time.

My first brew on it was with my friend and we brewed 20 gal and each took half. I brewed a couple of 15 gal batches also but that was to much to bottle at once.

I use buckets transfer the wort around so I'm not usually lift more than 5 gal at a time.
Hello, thats a huge pot lol, I also made an immersion chiller to deal with the bigger batches, its 50' of 3/8" copper and I double wound it, it works great, but now my tap water is 85 deg and climbing, so Im going to hook up a pump and re-circulate ice water through my chiller, after using tap water for initial cooling.

I also used 1/2", (just hose though), for my transfer and it worked pretty fast.

Ill bet 20 gal in a 26 gal pot was impressive looking.

I also use buckets (2=6.5 gal fermenters) to move the wort.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
suprat78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, I have a 15 gal kettle, 12 gal of strike water and 20 lbs of grain fit in it about 1 1/2" to 2" down from the top, then I do a rinse sparge to get my full boil volume after removing the grain bags from the kettle.

After boil I end up with about 11 to 11.5 gal

Hope this helps you chose the right size pot.

Cheers
Thanks! I have a keggle and I believe this will be my method. Are you rinsing with cold or warm water?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

10 gallon batches are the way to go (unless, of course, you can do more...).

I also BIAB. I use a 15 gallon Bayou Classic with a steamer insert and weldless fittings. My burner is the SQ14 with a makeshift heat shield and wind shield.

My chokepoint - which became clear very quickly - is my limited number of fermenting vessels.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprat78 View Post
Thanks! I have a keggle and I believe this will be my method. Are you rinsing with cold or warm water?
With cold water 1 1/2 to 3 gal total depending, each bag go's in a 5 gal bucket, then rinse, then squeeze bag, then add each to boil pot.

The 3=5 gal paint strainer bags work in a keggle too, I got the 3 bag idea form a video on this forum where the guy was using a 15 keggle and the 3 bags of grain.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Clef051
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote

Hello, thats a huge pot lol, I also made an immersion chiller to deal with the bigger batches, its 50' of 3/8" copper and I double wound it, it works great, but now my tap water is 85 deg and climbing, so Im going to hook up a pump and re-circulate ice water through my chiller, after using tap water for initial cooling.

I also used 1/2", (just hose though), for my transfer and it worked pretty fast.

Ill bet 20 gal in a 26 gal pot was impressive looking.

I also use buckets (2=6.5 gal fermenters) to move the wort.

Cheers
It was very impressive lol. We mashed inside and then boiled out so there was a lot of liquid moving. We used what was probably too small of a burner for the batch size. I've since upgraded my burner.

My girlfriend is happy too, since I'm making bigger batches I've been brewing less.

I'm thinking of using my old IC in a ice bath to cool down the water going into my new IC, for the summer months. I got down to 70 in about 30 min last time I brewed.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef051 View Post
It was very impressive lol. We mashed inside and then boiled out so there was a lot of liquid moving. We used what was probably too small of a burner for the batch size. I've since upgraded my burner.

My girlfriend is happy too, since I'm making bigger batches I've been brewing less.

I'm thinking of using my old IC in a ice bath to cool down the water going into my new IC, for the summer months. I got down to 70 in about 30 min last time I brewed.
Very nice, I was brewing every weekend doing the 5 gal batches, Im now brewing every 2 weeks until all 10 kegs are full, should be another 2 to 3 brewing days, my wife is much happy'r too, 5 weekends in a row was getting tiring.

Im going to have to do an ice/water mix with a pump now, my tap water is getting a bit to hot, to get my brew to pitching temps now, maybe a second chiller soon I hope lol

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Quick Reply