Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First 10 gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default First 10 gallon batch

Hello Everyone,

Today I pulled off my first 10 gal batch, I have to say it went really well and I don't think it was any harder than brewing a 5 gallon batch other than filling 2 fermenters instead of 1.

In-fact in some ways it was easy'r than a 5 gal batch, I BIAB in 1 pot and found that my mash temps today held much better/longer with less drop with the larger volume of water, quite a lot less adjustments were needed.

As far as clean up, it seemed the same as doing a 5 gal batch.

Im thinking from now on 10 gal batches on tried and tested beers, and 5 gal batches on new recipes.

I also used a KAB-6 burner for the first time, Holy Hot Burner Batman! is all I can say, boiling 10+ gal was easy, super quiet too.

Just wanted to share my experience, incase someone else is debating wether on not to try a 10 gal batch.

I say go for it.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
schematix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

10G is certainly worth it since the amount of time it takes to make 10G is only a little more than 5G. However, one must be cognisant that when going from 5 to 10G that you can no longer make beer in your kitchen - it is now an outdoor activity. The mass of the wort becomes too much to move by hand (e.g. no cooling the pot in a bath tub). It is practically a necessity to have a pump and either a large immersion chiller or plate chiller to cool that much wort. Also stove top heating elements are not power enough anymore. You need at least 2 powerful propane burners.

If you make yeast starters you're also looking at making 2x the starters, which takes more time and materials as well. Not double, but still more.

I've done 10G batches since day 1 and am starting to consider going up to 25G since my recipes don't need as much experimentation these days.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
avm221
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My next batch will be my 1St 10gal batch, I have been buying.g stuff off crags list and I built a 70qt mash ton last week. Now what to brew....

Old 05-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I agree schematix, the kitchen is definitely out for me now lol, but as of right now I am getting away with only 1 burner, I will be adding a second burner and strike water pot soon.

Congrats avm221, Im also collecting items, building a 70qt mash tun is one of the next things on my list too.

As soon as I gather the 3 items above, then it will be time to weld up a 3 tier gravity fed brew stand.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm looking to do a 10 gallon batch as soon as I get my weldless bulkhead installed on my pot. It just came in from brewhardware yesterday (great site by the way). Glad to know I shouldn't be intimidated by it.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
blacksquid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Yep, started to brew 10G batches since it saved me twice the time. Usually reserved for proven and true recipes. As said earlier, the only drawback for me was that I had to dump my immersion chiller for a pump/plate chiller setup - even though I'm in Canada and water hovers around 65-70 except during hot summer days.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
I'm looking to do a 10 gallon batch as soon as I get my weldless bulkhead installed on my pot. It just came in from brewhardware yesterday (great site by the way). Glad to know I shouldn't be intimidated by it.
Hello, I havent installed the valve in my pot yet, still need the step bit, I just siphoned the brew into 2 fermenters after cooling to pitching temp, worked like a charm.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote

Hello, I havent installed the valve in my pot yet, still need the step bit, I just siphoned the brew into 2 fermenters after cooling to pitching temp, worked like a charm.

Cheers
Does your syphon ever get clogged with hop debris. I use pellet hops and don't use a bag. That was my only concern.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
Does your syphon ever get clogged with hop debris. I use pellet hops and don't use a bag. That was my only concern.
Hello, I use pellet hops too, but I do use a bag to keep the hop gunk out of my brews, it works great, no clogs, if you haven't tried using a bag for hop and adjunct additions, you should try it.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #10
annoyingrob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually do 10 gallon batches, even on new recipes. I figure it's going to turn out in one of two ways. Either it'll be great and I'll be glad that I have 10 gallons of it, or it will be OK and although I'm not in love with it, it's still beer. Heck I can experiment with it if I want, age it on oak chips, dry hop it with different hops, etc. The only real downsides I found, my 48qt cooler that I mash in gets mighty full for a 10 gallon batch, my keggle is getting pretty full with 12 gallons of pre-boil wort, and my immersion chiller takes longer than I would like to chill 10 gallons.

I picked up a few 14 gallon demijohns on kijiji for like 10 bucks a piece. They're perfect for fermenting 10 gallon batches.

Quick Reply