Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First 10 Gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Gab1788
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default First 10 Gallon batch

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first double batch tomorrow as I just got my four ring 75,000 BTU burner.
I have a 70lt BK and only a 26lt HLT and my mash cooler tun is apx 40lt.
My question is this, can I mash with 10 kg of base ( not sure on specialties yet but won't be heaps) with 26 lt of strike. Sparge with 26 lt then sparge again with what ever I need to get to pre boil. I was thinking maybe another 10 to 15 lt?
Will this work fine? This isn't my first AG batch so I'm not freaking out, just looking for some pointers or better methods that will work with my system.
Thanks in advance.

Gab.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In general you want to sparge with twice your mash water volume. Batch spargers use the mash volume twice, essentially, to rinse the grains in two steps.

I'm not great with quick metric conversions, but it seems like your mash volume of 26 is quite high. In SAE measurements we generally shoot for 1.25-2quarts per pound of grainto mash. I think closer to 15lt. would be best for mashing 10kg of grain.

You could probably sparge with just the 26lt. and a little extra (5-6lt) to get to the 11gallon mark, assuming you'll absorb some in the mash and boil some off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
In general you want to sparge with twice your mash water volume. Batch spargers use the mash volume twice, essentially, to rinse the grains in two steps.

I'm not great with quick metric conversions, but it seems like your mash volume of 26 is quite high. In SAE measurements we generally shoot for 1.25-2quarts per pound of grainto mash. I think closer to 15lt. would be best for mashing 10kg of grain.

You could probably sparge with just the 26lt. and a little extra (5-6lt) to get to the 11gallon mark, assuming you'll absorb some in the mash and boil some off.
There are 2.2 pounds per kilo and a litre is pretty much a quart. So 10kg is 22 pounds. So by 1.25 quarts per pound you need 27.5 quarts to mash 22 pounds. So I think 26lt is actually going to be a thick mash.

Gab.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

See, metric and me are not greatest friends! I knew a liter was basically a quart though

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
Gab1788
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Ha ha, yeah you did say! No worries anyway.
I just set up my new stand and was about to start and our power went out. Means I can't use my march pump and I'm not too keen on trying to move 50+ litres around.
Oh well hopefully it will come back on soon anyway. Got some kegs to clean in the mean time though.

Gab.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is what I use:

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

It is accurate for my system since I can change parameters to fit what I see in my system. It would take a few metric to imperial conversions, but should be bad.

based on assumed 10 gal (37.85L) batch:

very rough....
10 kg = 22.04lbs
mash: 28L
sparge: 33L

Quick Reply