Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finishing a 1.090 barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Steve973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finishing a 1.090 barleywine

About a week and 3 days ago, we brewed an english barleywine that started at 1.090. We used White Labs London Dry ale yeast, and now it's down to 1.030. We have 7 more points until 75% attenuation is reached, but the bubbling is down to about 1 per 15-20 seconds through the airlock. I was wondering if it'd be okay to try to finish the beer off by racking it to secondary and introducing some of the WL Super High Gravity ale yeast. Or would that alter the character of the beer too much even though most of the fermentation happened with the english ale yeast? Comments welcome and appreciated. And thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

since you are still getting 3-4 bubbles /minute i would wait until it stops and check gravity then.
you can add additional yeast at that point if required

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Give it another week or two. Using a finishing yeast won't change it at this point (other than drying it out), but the ale yeast isn't done. Since you are looking an 5-6 months to condition, why rush it?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve973
About a week and 3 days ago, we brewed an english barleywine that started at 1.090. We used White Labs London Dry ale yeast, and now it's down to 1.030. We have 7 more points until 75% attenuation is reached, but the bubbling is down to about 1 per 15-20 seconds through the airlock. I was wondering if it'd be okay to try to finish the beer off by racking it to secondary and introducing some of the WL Super High Gravity ale yeast. Or would that alter the character of the beer too much even though most of the fermentation happened with the english ale yeast? Comments welcome and appreciated. And thanks in advance!
Yeah...personally, I wouldn't want a barleywine to be too far below 1.030. The unfermented sugars, along with the (hopefully) big hop bill and the alcohol, help it age like a b-wine is supposed to. 1.030 from 1.090 is 64% att., and 8% abv. Not bad. Let it be, and don't dry it out with high-grav yeast.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Steve973
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yeah...personally, I wouldn't want a barleywine to be too far below 1.030. The unfermented sugars, along with the (hopefully) big hop bill and the alcohol, help it age like a b-wine is supposed to. 1.030 from 1.090 is 64% att., and 8% abv. Not bad. Let it be, and don't dry it out with high-grav yeast.
I can appreciate what you're saying, but bottling a beer that hasn't finished fermenting could be pretty bad, since nobody likes beer grenades!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I don't think Evan is saying to bottle before it is done - just to let the existing yeast work as long as they can, but not to add an uber-yeast to "finish off" the job. Barleywines should have a good amount of sweetness, otherwise you're more in I-IPA territory.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Bugeaterbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have only had the thing in the fermenter for 10 days. It needs another 2 weeks or so before its ready to go to secondary. Its way too early to be worrying about the gravity. You won't (or at least shouldn't) be drinking this until about Thanksgiving or Christmas, so there is no need to rush. Let the yeast you have in there now do its job. It will drop into the 20's on its own in its own time.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Quick Reply