Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finished my first AG. Now I have a few questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Ckarsanac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Finished my first AG. Now I have a few questions...

I used this recipe exactly:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/smoo...l-stout-50756/

A few questions/areas of mistakes that I need some clarification on:

Poured 6 gallons of 165 degree water onto grain. Temp was 140 when I measured, so I added a quart or 2 of boiling water and brought it up to ~150. Then it sat for an hour. I drained 3.5 gallons of wort out. (Here's the second mess up) I figured I need 3 more gallons, so, while waiting the 1 hour, I heat up some more water to ~ 170. I then add that after draining the first 3.5 gallons. I wait another hour and drain off that for a total of 6.5 gallons of 1.04 SG wort.

1. Since I lose 2.5 gallons to grain and dead space, can I just use 9 gallons of water in my Lauter tun and collect the 6.5 gallons to begin with?

2. My Lautre tun has a sparging nozzle at the top, so would it be better to do an hour with the initial 6 gallons and then sparge the additional 3 gallons next? (Or do I need to do 8 gallons and 1 gallon sparge, e.g.)

3. OR, is what I did ok and it was just my initial strike temp was low and my volume was a little high compared to the recipe and that is why my SG is low?

I know this a rambling message, sorry. But, I want to do a different batch in a few weeks before it gets too cold out! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

for batch sparging i usually try to go with about 1.5 quarts/lb grain for initial strike water. There are several online calculators that will help you judge what temp you need your strike water so that your mash hits the temp you are looking for. During the hour you are waiting you can start heating your sparge water. After draining your tun, you will know for sure how much sparge water you need. (preboil amount minus collected = sparge needed). Some people will split this into 2 equal amounts and sparge twice just to rinse better, its up to you. Sparge water does need to sit an hour. Its a simple add, stir, vorlauf, drain. Some wait 10-15 minutes before the vorlauf and drain but its really not beneficial imo. Hope this helps some

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Your sparge shouldn't be more than 5 or 10 min. You can add all of your water at once, it's called no sparge. You have to increase the amount of grain you use. Your wort will be smoother and more robust.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Quick Reply