Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finished brewing, few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

First is a keg setup and jockey box, rather than bottling. This way I can keg up 2 5 gallon batches and enjoy it with some friends every not and again. Ice is free as well, as far as i'm concerned.

Will be fermenting in carboys and carbing up in the kegs. Really looking forward to this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
Do you HAVE to measure your pre-boil gravity if you know you hit your target OG post boil???
No. If you know you will hit your target gravity, you don't need to take any gravity reading prior to fermentation; but you don't know you will hit your target OG until after the boil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In short, no. But the advantage to checking preboil SG isn't to calculate efficiency, well at least not directly. The reason I check preboil SG is to make sure I'm on track to hit my post boil goals, if that makes sense. If I'm too high, I can add some water, or add more hops to adjust my IBUs. If I'm too low, I can add some DME or lower some bittering hops. Once the boil is over, it's too late to make those adjustments so that's the reason for the preboil SG check.
I dare not disagree with this, otherwise I might get whipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Use this to calculate efficiency; http://www.brewheads.com/efficiency.php
Just enter your grain bill, then enter the amount you got after the boil and your post boil gravity... You can indeed use pale/light DME for adding on low efficiency batches or using for starters.
I wouldn't use a calculator that assumes that imperial gallons are the same as US gallons. That could introduce an error of up to 20% as the imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #13
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I wouldn't use a calculator that assumes that imperial gallons are the same as US gallons. That could introduce an error of up to 20% as the imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon.

-a.
I also use BeerTools and BeerSmith and they both match this calculator on my recipes, so I'm comfortable with the calculations it gives me! I used to use TastyBrew as well, which also matched...

Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I also use BeerTools and BeerSmith and they both match this calculator on my recipes, so I'm comfortable with the calculations it gives me! I used to use TastyBrew as well, which also matched...
Don't know about BeerTools, but Beersmith v 1.40 clearly differentiates between US and Imperial gallons.

Tasty Brew just mentions gallons, and assumes that the only gallon is the US gallon.

Brewheads specifically states that the US gallon is the same as an Imperial gallon, and this is completely wrong.

Google "convert 1 imperial gallon to US gallon" and you will see what I mean.
I have lots of recipes based on imperial measures because I started brewing in England before they went metric. If I were to use Brewheads to calculate my efficiency on one of the old English recipes, it would give me a figure that was about 20% lower than the true efficiency.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

I just tried BrewersFriend's efficiency calculator for the first time. It also gives me 79% efficiency for the batch I brewed today. That's 4 different calculators INCLUDING Brewheads that I used to calculate this batch. All of them gave me between 78.5-79.3% efficiency. That's pretty much an average of 79% on all of them. I don't ever expect any of the sites to match 100%. I'm guessing Brewheads made the mistake of saying Imperial vs. US is the same thing, but that the calculator is actually set to US which is why it matches the other calculators I use. A variance of 1*F between 4 different calculators is an acceptable tolerance for my standards!

Quick Reply