12:30 Activated Yeast pack
Started 1:00 closed and cleaned up at 5:00
1:00 In large kettle added 2 gal spring water and 2 gal raw water.
(4 gal) Heat to 164 deg.
1:35 Poured 3 gal into MLT Closed and let stand 10 minutes
In 2 gal cooler added 1 gal for makeup (from grain absorption) to be added at the end of the mash, and before the first runnings.
Still have 1 gal in kettle.
Added 9.75# grain and stirred in grain.
Temp 148 deg. I had planned to add total 3.2 gal but need to raise temp to 153. Turned on burner and quickly reheated water to 164 and added @ 1 gal to MLT this is a total of 4 gal for 9.75# grain. Ended up with a little higher that I wanted somewhere around 1.65 qt/lb. I was planning on 1.2 or 1.3.
Have a mash Temp of 151deg. I was shooting for 153deg.
1:45 ?? With all this I forgot to check the actual time I closed the MLT.
1:15 in 5 gal kettle started heating 4 gal of water to 180deg.
2:15 MLT still 151deg. Opened and stirred.
2:50 150deg. Opened added my 1 gal for the grain absorption.
Vorlauf (recirculate @ 3 qts back through the MLT and drained 3 ½ gals into 32 qt. kettle.
Added 3 gal of 180 deg. Water into MLT and stirred. Closed lid and let rest for 5 minutes.
Drained 3 gals into kettle and started to brew the 61/2 gls. of the sweetest smelling wort I’ve had to date.
Can’t wait for the next 6 weeks.
Looking forward to AG #2
I did avoid a serious problem by following some good advice I read on this site last week. That was to do a run through before I attempt my 1st. AG.
I borrowed a digital t-stat and poured my 164deg water into my MLT. In 30 minutes the temp was 168 and 10 minutes later 174.
Found out the t-stat was bad.
Went out got a new one checked it with 3 others and all 4 red within 1.5 deg.
I glad I didn’t find this out on brew day I had my hands full enough.