HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finer crush vs. coarser crush/ higher speed vs. lower speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Q2XL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Finer crush vs. coarser crush/ higher speed vs. lower speed

I was talking with a brew buddy the other day and the subject of milling grain with a Barley Crusher came up. We were discussing the speed of the crush and how it relates to the type of crush that you get.

The question that we have is this.... Does a faster speed with your drill motor- or whatever you use to power the mill, cause the crush to be finer or coarser?

Sometimes I think that the slower the speed the longer the grain is between the rollers and then a finer crush. On the other hand I can see how a faster speed would mean that the grain is being "pulverized" and then would mean a finer crush also.

Your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would think faster=more shredded husks because the force on the grains is greater. But physics was always one of my weaker subjects.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have no personal experience with the topic but it sounds like an interesting topic for an experiment...

Just from thinking about it, I would think that the speed (on a BC mill) of the crush probably doesn't influence the crush nearly as much as the gap setting since it uses a two-roller setup. I'd be interested in hearing the results if you do experiment though!

Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've always heard that you want to crush as fine as you can without getting a stuck sparge.. as a finer crush increases you efficiency..

And that you want to crush at around 200-300 RPM so that you reduce shredding of the husks.. I think shredding the husks results in off flavors or tannin extraction or something else undesirable...

I just used my new C&S 3d for the first time this morning... I powered it with my milwakee right angle drill which is pretty slow...

It's mashing right now, so I don't know what my efficiency is, but the crush looked 'really' nice....

As long as I didn't crush so fine that I get a stuck sparge (I set it to 0.040), then I should see a nice bump in efficiency compared to the crushes from the LHBS... or so it says in small print right here at the bottom of the page...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would say that a faster crush would produce more shredding and ripping of the grain where a slower crush is more uniform. Generally to get a finer crush you would reduce the distance between the rollers rather than increase (or decrease) the speed of the mill

Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I drive my mill with a 1/2" Craftsman AC drill. It's not hard to hold the trigger at a setting that's pretty low, I'm guessing around 120-150 rpm. I get an excellent crush with a minimal amount of flour. My husks have some tearing, but I have zero problems lautering /sparging (I use a 10 gal. Rubbermaid MLT cooler conversion, with the Bargain Fittings braid kit), so I'm not really worried about it. It would be interesting to mill a few pounds at a higher speed, then the rest at the lower, just to compare. I suspect that'll be the only way to tell, since mills and gap settings differ. I use a "Victoria" branded Corona-type mill, with the plates set to about the thickness of a credit card.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
RedHouse
Recipes 

I use a Dewalt, non-variable speed, 1/2" drill motor to power my Crankandstein 2s. When I first hooked it up and ran it full speed(about450rpm) the crush was ok, lots of shredded husks though. I then hooked up my dimmer that I use to control the temp on my brew belt, and tried that. I guessed at getting the drill to run about half speed. The crush was much better looking, maybe a bit finer, but hardly any shredded husks.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
DB_Cooper
Recipes 

I just bought a Barley Crusher, used it last week, cranked it by hand, got a nice looking crush, but ended up with 60% efficiency. Fast forward to this week, 2nd batch, used a corded drill, my battery powered one was too weak, crushed it very fast, drill only has one speed, superfast. The crush was definitely finer, the husks were much more torn, and more flour. I used rice hulls on both batches, no stuck sparges, calculated 89% eff. on 2nd batch. I'm thinking my measurements are off a bit, probably not as low on the first and not as high on the 2nd, but using the drill definitely made for a different crush, and both were on the factory .039 setting.

"Beer - Duct Tape for the Soul" - Me

Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use a Harbor Freight Low Speed Drill: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

Works great. Adjustable speed too. When I bought it, it was $39.99 and I used a 20% off coupon. It's sitting at $59.99 right now, so I'd wait until they dropped the price.

Quick Reply